Katalox riser tube pulled up 4" when head was removed for servicing

Users who are viewing this thread

Cristian

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently had to pull the 2510SXT head off my Katalox tank for a rebuild and when I removed the head, the riser tube came up about 4". I have managed to twist the tube a bit and get it back down about 2", but that's it. I'm hoping there's some trick I can use to get it back down a couple more inches so I can install the head and get it back online, without having to dump out the media and start over. Does anyone know of any tips or tricks I can use to get this thing back down into place? Short of sawing a couple of inches off the top, I'm not sure what to do here. Many thanks in advance for any help/suggestions!

- Cris

Reach4

Reaction score
Is there gravel? If not, you may be able to apply water into the distributor tube, and that could move the media out of the way.

I expect you have a top basket on your backwashing iron filter, and that will tend to not only clog, but to grab the distributor tube. What did you see at your top basket-- slots clogged?

I removed my top basket when I swapped media on my backwashing H2S+iron filter. The basket slots were pretty filled, so would have reduced backwash I think.

Cristian

Reaction score
Is there gravel? If not, you may be able to apply water into the distributor tube, and that could move the media out of the way.

I expect you have a top basket on your backwashing iron filter, and that will tend to not only clog, but to grab the distributor tube. What did you see at your top basket-- slots clogged?

I removed my top basket when I swapped media on my backwashing H2S+iron filter. The basket slots were pretty filled, so would have reduced backwash I think.
It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure I put in a sleeve of gravel at the bottom. There's that ring shaped thing around the tube up near the top that looks like it spreads out the water, and a few of the slots were clogged but I cleaned them out. I just need to get that pipe back down into place!

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you will need to dump the media.

No need to separate gravel and media; it will re-sort itself during backwash.

I think you are saying that you have the mushroom-shaped diffuser on the distributor tube in this photo, and you don't have the top basket that is shown attached to the valve. That is good.

I guess I would use more silicone grease on the O-rings and top of distributor tube when reinstalling.

index.php

Cristian

Reaction score
Yes sir, that little mushroom thingie is what I have and there's no top basket. I was hoping there was a way I could avoid dumping the media to get that thing back down into place.

Old

Reaction score
If it's smaller gravel then a garden hose on full blast down the distributor tube while working the tube up/down can usually get the tube down to the bottom. I have done this numerous times with success.

Cristian

Reaction score
If it's smaller gravel then a garden hose on full blast down the distributor tube while working the tube up/down can usually get the tube down to the bottom. I have done this numerous times with success.
Thank you! I'll give that a try!

Cristian

Reaction score
From looking at the inside of the 2510 head, can I assume that the top of the riser tube is designed to be about level with the top of the tank? If that's the case, and if I can't get the tube to go down those last 2", is there a problem if I just lop that bit off the top?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If the media tank is full of water, then shooting water down the riser tube will just make a mess. A small utility pump can be used to recirculate the water but you need to be careful not to suck up media into the pump.

If it is mostly devoid of water, then compressed air can be used. The tank can also be laid on its side and rolled back and forth while pushing in the tube.

Lastly, there is a riser tube hold-down device that could be installed to prevent this in the future.

Cristian

Reaction score
If the media tank is full of water, then shooting water down the riser tube will just make a mess. A small utility pump can be used to recirculate the water but you need to be careful not to suck up media into the pump.

If it is mostly devoid of water, then compressed air can be used. The tank can also be laid on its side and rolled back and forth while pushing in the tube.

Lastly, there is a riser tube hold-down device that could be installed to prevent this in the future.
The rolling back and forth on its side seems to have done the trick. Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
Good deal. Remove the rust from the top of the tube, maybe with iron out, so that top is smooth. Then lube the o-ring on the valve before reassembly. But next time you pull the valve you might be planning to swap media anyway.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks