Jetted tub hose connection

Users who are viewing this thread

JeffNC

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the blue stuff is in the photo? I need to replace that upper left jet (as you can see there is a crack in it), and there isn't enough slack in the hose to cut it and reattach it. I'd like to get the hose off and then reattach correctly, if anyone has any pointers.

tubbottom.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
This will not come out. They are flex lines with a pvc outer coating that are then glued using water contact pvc cement. They will need cut and the jet replaced. Hopefully that pipe is a normal size and you can glue a coupling in it. If not you'll have to use a barb or something.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
you cut the tube remove the jet . put new jet in with silicone and install new jet you might need a short piece of pipe and a coupling . like fixing a lawn sprinkler easy.

JeffNC

Reaction score
It turns out I was wrong and because of the routing there was enough slack in the hose to cut it off and still put it back on. There is no barb on the fitting.

This will not come out. They are flex lines with a pvc outer coating that are then glued using water contact pvc cement. They will need cut and the jet replaced. Hopefully that pipe is a normal size and you can glue a coupling in it. If not you'll have to use a barb or something.

When you say flex line with a PVC outer coating, do you really mean PVC inner coating? That would make sense. I've seen the Rain-R-Shine PVC cement in the store but never used it. Didn't occur to me because I thought it was PVC to PVC only, but if there is PVC on the inside of that flex hose then this makes sense.

I'm assuming if I'm installing everything dry, can't I just use standard purple PVC cement?

Thanks for the replies.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
It turns out I was wrong and because of the routing there was enough slack in the hose to cut it off and still put it back on. There is no barb on the fitting.

When you say flex line with a PVC outer coating, do you really mean PVC inner coating? That would make sense. I've seen the Rain-R-Shine PVC cement in the store but never used it. Didn't occur to me because I thought it was PVC to PVC only, but if there is PVC on the inside of that flex hose then this makes sense.

I'm assuming if I'm installing everything dry, can't I just use standard purple PVC cement?

Thanks for the replies.
The pipe is glued on the outer surface. Why would you want to glue the inside? The blue pvc cement is on the outside of the pipe which is where you would glue it.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
always use primer and glue not just glue i dont think the glue is purple thats primer the glue is blue but gray or even clear might be ok but Id use blue glue and purple primer

JeffNC

Reaction score
The pipe is glued on the outer surface. Why would you want to glue the inside? The blue pvc cement is on the outside of the pipe which is where you would glue it.

No, I'm talking of course about the inner surface of the hose. Read again where I said "inner surface of the flex hose". I'm assuming that PVC cement joins PVC to PVC. is there some sort of PVC lining on the hose, or does the hose material just work with PVC cement?

JeffNC

Reaction score
always use primer and glue not just glue i dont think the glue is purple thats primer the glue is blue but gray or even clear might be ok but Id use blue glue and purple primer

Sure, but what is the glue? Is it the Rain-R-Shine product, or something else? I'm really not sure what the material is on the inside of the hose I'm attaching to. I know the jet is PVC but what exactly is this glue other than "blue"? I was assuming the Rain-R-Shine cement was actually blue because the label was blue, but that doesn't make sense. Is that cement actually blue?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
No, I'm talking of course about the inner surface of the hose. Read again where I said "inner surface of the flex hose". I'm assuming that PVC cement joins PVC to PVC. is there some sort of PVC lining on the hose, or does the hose material just work with PVC cement?
I read it correctly. I know you keep saying inner, but we glue on the outer. Anything you connect would be on the outer lining of the hose. And a coupling would fit on the outer lining of the hose. I don't know why your trying to glue a coupling inside of the hose. Anything (generally) that would go inside of a hose wouldn't glue it would be barbed.

Yes that's probably rain or shine glue.

JeffNC

Reaction score
I read it correctly. I know you keep saying inner, but we glue on the outer. Anything you connect would be on the outer lining of the hose. And a coupling would fit on the outer lining of the hose. I don't know why your trying to glue a coupling inside of the hose. Anything (generally) that would go inside of a hose wouldn't glue it would be barbed.

Yes that's probably rain or shine glue.

Well, go back and look at the original photo I posted. There are no barb as I mentioned in post #5, and the PVC stubout of the jet is glued into the inside of the hose.

So I'm wondering, is there some kind of PVC lining inside the hose, or does the cement work on that kind of plastic as well as PVC?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well, go back and look at the original photo I posted. There are no barb as I mentioned in post #5, and the PVC stubout of the jet is glued into the inside of the hose.

So I'm wondering, is there some kind of PVC lining inside the hose, or does the cement work on that kind of plastic as well as PVC?
In your photo the glue is on the outside of the pipe. I feel like I'm talking to a wall.

JeffNC

Reaction score
In your photo the glue is on the outside of the pipe. I feel like I'm talking to a wall.

Oh my gosh. IT'S RESIDUE.

THE NIPPLE ON THE JET GOES INSIDE THE FLEX TUBE. THE TUBE DOES NOT GO INTO THE JET.

The jet basically looks like this, except there were no barbs on the jet nipple after I removed the tube. Unless the barbs were there originally and got dissolved by the cement.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can understand the confusion . in this case just copy the way it was built and glue it up

JeffNC

Reaction score
It's kind of hard to "copy the way it was built" if they don't tell you what cement they used and you don't have any experience with that stuff.

So I took a closer look at the hose, and it seems to be a 2 layer design. Basically the outer layer looks like clear reinforced vinyl. The inner layer is opaque white, and I'm guessing some kind of flexible PVC.

I got the new jet today and it was as I suspected - no barbs on the fitting. The manufacturer put this together without clamps, and I didn't see the point in using clamps without barbs either. Now I don't know exactly which glue was used, "Rain-R_Shine" or "hot lava" or if there are any significant differences between them or the manufacturer (that's one thing I was hoping to get answered here, but oh well.) So I just used Rain-R-Shine. I didn't see any evidence of purple primer from the factory - maybe they used clear primer. In hindsight I suppose I could have primed the inside of the hose with a Q tip, but I simply put primer on the jet fitting and pushed the hose on and off it a couple times to prime both pieces. Then I just glued it together. It now looks like all the other ones and seems to be holding strong.

The fitting screwed in pretty straightforwardly, but it's kind of like a shower arm - it's awkward because you can't hold both parts at the same time and you had to tighten the fitting side underneath, not the piece on the tub side. The jet part on the tub side would hold still which is a good thing, but it had to tighten just right so the nipple faced directly to the right. I can see maybe some factory worker cracked it during installation by tightening it too much in an attempt to get it lined up.

Will do a leak test tomorrow.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think youll be good Ive just never heard of Lava glue I doubt any blue pvc glue wouldnt work but id just make sure I used the right glue or advized someone else to use the right stuff
they dont leak very often must have gotten bumped to crack it.

JeffNC

Reaction score
Based on how the jet install went, I believe it was cracked during installation at the factory because it's kind of hard to get it tightened at just the right angle - I think it got overturned.

This is what I meant by "hot lava". I still don't understand why you'd use this over Rain-R-Shine. Both are advertised for wet application, and one is "fast setting" while the other is "very fast setting".

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just differant opinions I never use wet or dry, rain or shine type products if Im working in clean dry conditions . If I was working glueing pipe together in a rain storm maybe. I look the cans over If Im buying glue for just a single joint I try to get a glue that is versatle so in this case maybe christie red hot blue as they advertize for drinking water as well about 90 percent5 of my pvc glue is on potable water applications . lava said irrigation and dwv so with out decoding the label it might not be something I want to buy because I might need to glue up a line on the water system somewhere

JeffNC

Reaction score
Well I can't understand why they would use a product like Rain-R-Shine in dry factory conditions, but I guess they did, so I used what they used (or what I assume they used).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks