Jet Pump won't shut off

Users who are viewing this thread

Captainron

Reaction score
I have just put a sand point in and bought a new jet pump. After hooking up and pulling water at about 6 gal per min, and when i stop using water, my pump doesn't shut off. It gets to about 30 to 35 psi but not any higher. When i unplug the pump, the pressure drops to 12psi and holds at that. I have not made any adjustments yet to the high pressure switch yet but i'm wondering why my pump would drop to 12psi and hold when i unplug my pump? Do you think it could be a leak further down the pipe? Anyone have any ideas?

Reach4

Reaction score
bad pressure gauge?

What happens if you open a faucet while the valve to the house is open?

Where is your check valve?

Reach4

Reaction score
Clogged jet would not cause the dropping to 12 psi symptom.

Captainron

Reaction score
bad pressure gauge?

What happens if you open a faucet while the valve to the house is open?

Where is your check valve?
The check valve is just before it goes into the pump.
When i'm pumping water my pressure gauge reads around 12psi. When i'm not using water the pump only goes to around 32psi and doesn't shut off. I just have it hooked to a garden hose for now while i'm setting it up and i have a ball valve before the hose, so i just close the ball valve and it should get enough pressure to shut off but doesn't.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Clogged jet would not cause the dropping to 12 psi symptom.
The dropping to 12 PSI could be the result of the intake pipe stretching when it transitions from suction to pressure. Since the air precharge might be such that there is no water in the tank, then it cannot buffer the reverse flow of water stretching the pipe.

Bannerman

Reaction score
You have not mentioned a pressure tank. Is one installed? Without a pressure tank, there would be no means to store pressure while the pump is not operating. Perhaps the 12 psi is a result of the outflow pipe stretching while pressurized to 35 psi, so the constriction of the pipe when it is no longer being stretched while the pump is shut down may be resulting in 12 psi being maintained forward of the check valve.

You have also not specified which jet pump is being utilized, nor have you specified the pressure switch pressure settings. Perhaps your pressure switch is calibrated for 20/40 psi, but if your pump is only capable of building to a maximum 35 psi, then the pressure switch will never shut off the pump.

Last edited:

Captainron

Reaction score
You have not mentioned a pressure tank. Is one installed? Without a pressure tank, there would be no means to store pressure while the pump is not operating. Perhaps the 12 psi is a result of the outflow pipe stretching while pressurized to 35 psi, so the constriction of the pipe when it is no longer being stretched while the pump is shut down may be resulting in 12 psi being maintained forward of the check valve.

You have also not specified which jet pump is being utilized, nor have you specified the pressure switch pressure settings. Perhaps your pressure switch is calibrated for 20/40 psi, but if your pump is only capable of building to a maximum 35 psi, then the pressure switch will never shut off the pump.
The pump comes with a 5 gal tank. I did some more investigation and found i had a crack in the ball valve and a loose fitting. The issue i have now is my pump only gets up to 32psi and doesn't go any higher when no water is being used. The pump is set to 30/50. So the pump doesn't shut off because it only reaches 32psi. I haven't adjusted the upper pressure sensor setting yet but was wondering why my pump won't build enough pressure to shut off? It now holds 32psi when i unplug it.

Captainron

Reaction score
I have just put a sand point in and bought a new jet pump. After hooking up and pulling water at about 6 gal per min, and when i stop using water, my pump doesn't shut off. It gets to about 30 to 35 psi but not any higher. When i unplug the pump, the pressure drops to 12psi and holds at that. I have not made any adjustments yet to the high pressure switch yet but i'm wondering why my pump would drop to 12psi and hold when i unplug my pump? Do you think it could be a leak further down the pipe? Anyone have any ideas?
So i have found a couple of leaks and have now fixed them. The pump tank is 5gal and is set to 30/50 cut in and out. I'm pumping almost 8 gal a min but when i turn the water off, the pump only builds to 32psi and not any higher so it doesn't shut off.
One question i have is what happens if my tank pressure is equal or higher then the cut on setting? I did a quick measurement of mine and it reads around 29 or 30psi but that is just with a tire gauge and not digital.
My pressure holds at 32psi and doesn't drop, so i'm thinking nothing is leaking.
What can cause a pump not to reach it's cut out if no water is being used and no leaks?

Reach4

Reaction score
You have also not specified which jet pump is being utilized, nor have you specified the pressure switch pressure settings.
My pressure holds at 32psi and doesn't drop, so i'm thinking nothing is leaking.
What can cause a pump not to reach it's cut out if no water is being used and no leaks?
Harbor freight? Which model?
63407_W3.jpg

How about a photo of the check valve, pump, pressure switch.