Is this Water Hammer?

Users who are viewing this thread

ScottAllen

Reaction score
There is a youtube video link at the bottom of this post showing the possible water hammer in my basement near the main water supply.

Listen to the sound after the water shuts off.
I still dont know if this is water hammer OR the contraction & expansion of pipes.

Regulator has been changed. Water pressure is around 50 to 60 Psi.

I have also insulated the pipes.

If this is water hammer, does installing this arrestor SharkBite 3/4 Inch Residential Water Hammer Arrestor, Push to Connect Brass Plumbing Fittings, PEX Pipe, Copper, CPVC, PE-RT, HDPE, 22632LF https://a.co/d/5hJOeRV
At the main supply help?

Should i install it below the regulator or above?

Any help is appreciated.

If this ignored it can be a problem in future right?

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like water hammer. Something is clicking or vibrating. Place your hand on the pipe especially near the PRV. You should feel the vibration and the more vibration you feel, closer you are getting to the source. Do you have a hot water heating (hydronic) system? Do you know if you have an anti backflow device at or near the water meter?

Shut off stop valves around the home to isolate the noise at sinks, washing machine, ice water line to the refig, etc?

ScottAllen

Reaction score
Doesn't sound like water hammer. Something is clicking or vibrating. Place your hand on the pipe especially near the PRV. You should feel the vibration and the more vibration you feel, closer you are getting to the source. Do you have a hot water heating (hydronic) system? Do you know if you have an anti backflow device at or near the water meter?

Shut off stop valves around the home to isolate the noise at sinks, washing machine, ice water line to the refig, etc?
You know what, i just now solved this problem that has been there for years.

And the solution has been simple and one of the plumbing companies kind of cheated on us now that i know what the problem was,

So just a few months ago we called a plumbing company to check our water pressure regulator and adjust it so the water pressure is less and this sound if its water hammer goes away. They came and looked at the regulator, not sure if they check it working or not, and told us to install a new one. They did not replace the old one , but installed a new one above the main supply faucet. This old regulator was below the supply faucet.

So we paid 667$ and still this sound persisted.

Just now, i was planning to get a hammer arrestor but then i thought may be i will try to turn the pressure nut on the old regulator and see if it works, if nothing it wont do any harm.

So i did.

And guess what, there is no more sound. No clicking, hammering sound.

Solved!

So it seems now we have two working regulators. If only that plumbing company had done their job thoroughly and checked the old regulator to test if its working, instead of just looking at it and installing a new one above the faucet,
We didnt have to spend 667$.

Eman85

Reaction score
Do you have a gauge? I had a water pipe noise after replacing my regulator and had to adjust the pressure and the noise went away.

ScottAllen

Reaction score
Do you have a gauge? I had a water pipe noise after replacing my regulator and had to adjust the pressure and the noise went away.
Yeah checked the pressure. Its been 55 psi. Even after fixing the old regulator

Fitter30

Reaction score
Think it's the prv. Sounds metallic like the spring might be broke. Valve has to be pulled to check the strainer.

Last edited:

ScottAllen

Reaction score
Think it's the prv. Sounds metallic like the spring might be broke.
It was the old PRV which was overlooked by plumbers when they installed new one. So all i did was turn the pressure nut on the old PRV a bit and the sound is gone. No more sound when i turn on any faucet in the House. I am relieved that after nearly two years of this sound, finally it is fixed.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
It was the old PRV which was overlooked by plumbers when they installed new one. So all i did was turn the pressure nut on the old PRV a bit and the sound is gone. No more sound when i turn on any faucet in the House. I am relieved that after nearly two years of this sound, finally it is fixed.
Thats one opinion on how to fix a bad regulator but I replace the bad one I dont add a good one

ScottAllen

Reaction score
Thats one opinion on how to fix a bad regulator but I replace the bad one I dont add a good one
Exactly. Thats what i thought they would do. Instead they installed a new one above the faucet. And the left the old one as it is which was installed below the faucet. Apparently now i have two working ones. 667$ later. Lol

Daluu

Reaction score
Is the old PRV located before or after the main supply line shut off valve or how close is it to the shut off valve? That might be one reasoning how they chose to go about it.

I had a plumber that instead of replacing the main shut off valve (a gate valve) that was worn, and that valve was also very close to the ground where the supply line sticks out, he instead added a ball valve further up the line to act as the replacement shut off valve. I assume he didn't want to deal with the mess of replacing the original valve should some problems come up during the replacement. And as he wasn't replacing the original valve, don't think he turned off the water at the meter either. I had another plumber replace main shut off valve at another home, and that one did replace the original and also shut off water at the meter, but the original valve in this case wasn't as close to the ground.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks