Toilet Water Hammer

Users who are viewing this thread

BobN

Reaction score
In this 40 year old house, I've never had water hammer problems. Now I have a problem with one old Mansfield toilet. When the float rises to the top, water very slowly stops flowing. After the valve finally shuts, there is a one-second loud vibration. It seems to be coming from the pipes inside the wall, not from the tank or bowl. I added a small water hammer arrestor after the toilet manual shutoff and it didn't help or change this problem. No other fixtures in the house cause noise. The house has copper pipes (not PEX) and a submerged pump putting out 55PSI. There is also an expansion tank on the well output, so the pressure is relatively constant.

What are your thoughts on debugging and fixing this?

Thank you.

BobN

Reaction score
Follow-up: While the toilet was refilling, I reached under the nearby sink and felt the cold water pipe going to the faucet. Sure enough, when the tank just barely filled, I heard the one second of vibration and felt it strongly in the cold water pipe.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would have changed fill valves first . if I was throwing parts at it , you can service them too but Id replace it

Eman85

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with 1 toilet in the house. I raised the pressure on my PRV a few pounds and it quit. I'm on municipal water here. I also installed a Korky water valve in the toilet, it had a Fluidmaster FWIW.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with 1 toilet in the house. I raised the pressure on my PRV a few pounds and it quit. I'm on municipal water here. I also installed a Korky water valve in the toilet, it had a Fluidmaster FWIW.
House has no PRV Id discount the raising of water pressure as being a fix for water hammer as being the most unlikely fix for water hammer maybey you need to repair the prv or replace it . If it fixed it why change fill valve?

Eman85

Reaction score
I should have been more clear. I had a PRV problem with pressure fluctuating. I replaced the PRV and after that I started having the water hammer with 1 toilet. I replaced the fill valve, which didn't fix the problem. I called the PRV company and they suggested raising the pressure a few pounds which I did and it stopped the hammer. One thing that probably wasn't helping tings were the CPVC pipes were not secured properly by previous plumbers. I've also since replumbed the whole house.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I should have been more clear. I had a PRV problem with pressure fluctuating. I replaced the PRV and after that I started having the water hammer with 1 toilet. I replaced the fill valve, which didn't fix the problem. I called the PRV company and they suggested raising the pressure a few pounds which I did and it stopped the hammer. One thing that probably wasn't helping tings were the CPVC pipes were not secured properly by previous plumbers. I've also since replumbed the whole house
oh your a differant guy differant problem maybe reppiping and strapping the pipes fixed it ? never heard of fixing water hammer by raising pressure, easy enough thing to try though

Eman85

Reaction score
What can I say, it worked for me. When the toilet shut off it would trigger the hammer and I traced it back to the pipes to the water heater which would really get to vibrating. Turning up the pressure was a no cost easy enough to try thing so it's what I did and the hammer stopped. I was planning a repipe anyway along with a water heater replacement.
I do think the new fill valve, the Korky, appeared to shut the water off more gently. Might have been just the Fluidmaster was old and had some lime deposits making the float and valve sticky.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Definately changing fill valves can stop a toilet from causing water hammer . I dont know why but sometimes a w/c fillvalve will slam shut, and since a repipe and your note that the pipes were loose . but in your case I cant say one way or another you already told us that raising the pressure at the regulator fixed the problem Ive never seen this but accept that is what you belive happened . Im not convinced but If I think about it Id concider monkeying with the pressure to help aleviate hammer including increaing pressure but not with high expectations.

sanu66a

Reaction score
I added a small water hammer arrestor after the toilet manual shutoff and it didn't help or change this problem. No other fixtures in the house cause noise. The house has copper pipes (not PEX) and a submerged pump putting out 55PSI. There is also an expansion tank on the well output, so the pressure is relatively constant.
www.routerlogin.net

pikashow apk

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Try partially closing the stop valve to work around the problem.

But changing the fill valve would make sense. Do you have a ballcock, or a more modern type?

Also, do you keep a plunger handy? If so, consider changing the toilet instead. Despite using less water, most newer toilets clog less than the old ones.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
This issue would likley be fixed from a new fill valve. This one seems to be wearing out and sputtering to a stop and causing vibration.

I could see a pressure increase stopping the sputtering of the fill valve, but that would likley be a temporary fix.

GReynolds929

Reaction score
Toilet water hammer refers to the phenomenon of loud banging or thumping noises occurring in the water pipes of a toilet after flushing. This noise is typically caused by the sudden stoppage of water flow in the pipes, leading to a pressure surge that creates vibrations and banging sounds.
Thanks for the explanation, we had no idea.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks