Is it normal for some salt to not dissolve?

Users who are viewing this thread

kk0710

Reaction score
Because I'm lazy and don't feel like scooping out the salt in the brine tank(tight space) I just ran regen a few times to get rid of all the salt. Each regen definitely used a lot of salt... but there is some at the bottom that is not dissolving? Also, is it normal for BD to leave some water in the tank?

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, there is some water left at the bottom of the tank. The typical air check valve only sucks down to about midway. Plus that valve is not necessarily bumping the bottom.

kk0710

Reaction score
Yes, there is some water left at the bottom of the tank. The typical air check valve only sucks down to about midway. Plus that valve is not necessarily bumping the bottom.
ok what about the salt not dissolving?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
You're seeing other minerals and some solids that do not dissolve like sand. About once a year you should do a good hose down. Use a wet/dry shop vac or take the tank outside.

kk0710

Reaction score
You're seeing other minerals and some solids that do not dissolve like sand. About once a year you should do a good hose down. Use a wet/dry shop vac or take the tank outside.
This unit has had less than 10 bags put in it so far, it's normal to have that much that won't dissolve?

Reach4

Reaction score
Given that you only had put 10*40=400 pounds or so thru, you may get more dissolved if you add water, and then stir. Some bags are 40, 44 or 50 lbs each.

If you use solar salt that is 99.6% soluble, you would expect 0.16 1.6 lbs of 400 lbs to not be soluble. You see more than 0.16 lbs, so I would expect that you can dissolve more.
Edit... I see I wrote 40 into my spreadsheet where I should have written 400.

Last edited:

kk0710

Reaction score
Given that you only had put 10*40=400 pounds or so thru, you may get more dissolved if you add water, and then stir. Some bags are 40, 44 or 50 lbs each.

If you use solar salt that is 99.6% soluble, you would expect 0.16 lbs of 400 lbs to not be soluble. You see more than 0.16 lbs, so I would expect that you can dissolve more.
Mortons blue bag and whatever it is no additional water or stirring is breaking it down.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yep, I had made an error...

Note that the Morton yellow bag pellets have less insoluble material than the green bag solar salt.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks