Intermittent Sewage Gas from G400 Dual Flush Toto

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
We removed the toilet but the wax seal looks good.
IMO, the wax seal does not look good. If you are basing that on what you see in your photo, there is no wax to see. When I put in a similar adapter, I had some wax squishing out. Admitedly I used more wax than usual, but I see no wax peeking thru the slots or anywhere else. The wax we are talking about is above the closet flange, and between the two closet bolts.

In other words, I agree with "I'm still betting that its caused by the wax ring not making contact fully to the unifit." as stated by Tuttles Revenge in post #12.

Last edited:

Encarbon

Reaction score
So the wax seal was replaced and the toilet was reset. It appears the smell came back today, It's much stronger around the bowl area which leads me to think something is wrong with the toilet. No smell coming from behind. Any ideas?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Terry posted very important things in post 17 and 20 with the unifit Still is it possible the wax seal isn't right ? and finally the china don't know if its impossible to leak stink and not water. That's my 3 possibilities gotta be one of those

Encarbon

Reaction score
It happened again yesterday but this time I noticed the fill line dropped. I feel like this was not the case in times prior unless the fill line drop was so slight that it was not noticeable.

It did not drop in the other bathrooms, does anyone know how to adjust the water fill line (could not find in manual or prevent this from happening in the future on this toilet?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
It happened again yesterday but this time I noticed the fill line dropped. I feel like this was not the case in times prior unless the fill line drop was so slight that it was not noticeable.

It did not drop in the other bathrooms, does anyone know how to adjust the water fill line (could not find in manual or prevent this from happening in the future on this toilet?
Stoppages in main line often cause siphoning of water from bowl , usually bubbles or gurgling is heard.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would call Toto to have them diagnose the issue.. There is no user friendly anything under the hood. I don't believe there are any adjustable flush controls from my experience.

Encarbon

Reaction score
So this happened a few more times, each time the water line dropped under. Usually happens overnight and there was no noise coming from the toilet. Any ideas, is this more a toilet issue or a plumbing issue.

Reach4

Reaction score
does anyone know how to adjust the water fill line (could not find in manual or prevent this from happening in the future on this toilet?
slowly add water to the bowl, wait 5 minutes. Check the level. That level is determined by the weir of the trap in the toilet.

If right after a flush, and the fill valve has shut off, if the water is not up to that level, then we know how to increase the fill.

If the water in the bowl fills to the weir level, but goes down overnight, close the lid to keep the pets from drinking your water. If it is not that, there is no adjustment.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
sure good idea to call toto. only thing is if the toilet is losing water there is generalky 2 causes cracked /defective bowl, or another plumbing issue with stoppage or some poor plumbing work done. 6 monthes its hasent gotten better . I dont follow why it drops overnight sounds like hairline crack. pull toilet set it on blocks fill bowl if water drops on the floor then you would need a new toilet. I dont see the bowl draining over night from it not filling high enough that is 2 way differant senarios

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Toto has their tech support headquarters in Ontario CA not too far from Pasedena.. Their call center techs that answer the phone for Neorests are trained techs who fix these. They then would likely dispatch one of their techs or a factory trained third party plumber who could pull and reset the toilet and likely replace the unifit (which is what I think needs replaced)

I do repair work for Toto in my area. But I havent had this problem, so I don't know the answer. But I bet the tech who answers the phone would have heard of this problem and have a solution for it.

If the unit is out of warranty, then they do charge for the repair of course.

Side note: I spent a week at their Ontario training facility and went hiking in the hills and mountains every day after training ended. My GF flew in and we spent the weekend at Disney in Pasadena.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I live along those hills of pasadena and sorta near ontario another 20 miles east use that ontario airport and avoid LAX its way far for me. a lot to see down here some good some not LOL

Encarbon

Reaction score
Is it possible the P-Trap design is not "strong" enough since this is the last toilet leading to the sewage system. We have 2 other toilets in the house that are normal Toto ones with upright P-traps that don't experience this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks