Install new tub - drain doesn't match

Users who are viewing this thread

Dave Alessi

Reaction score
I am planning a major renovation to my bathroom. I want to replace tub, floor tile, shower tiles, etc.

I live in a condo with concrete floors. By rule, homeowners are not able to alter drain in floors. I want to replace an existing Jacuzzi tub (end drain) with a standalone soaking tub. The Jacuzzi is a drop-in. The enclosure that was built around the tub is very large and wastes a lot of space (6-8 inches all around). I want to remove the tub and its enclosure, and move the wall behind the tub about six inches to enlarge the adjacent shower.

I am trying to find a tub that will work from a drain perspective. Most of the tubs I like are center drain. I see some that are end drain, but am unsure how to pick one that will work. Another difficulty is it is not possible to get the precise location of the drain until the old tub has been removed. I don't want to do this until I am sure I will be able to find a workable tub. I can see under the tub from an inspection port and understand the approximate location though. (the jacuzzi has about 6" of clearance between floor and bottom of tub)

1. Is it necessary that the tub drain exactly match the floor drain (be directly above it), or can it be piped with some offset?
2. If I selected a tub that is on feet, and has some space underneath (for jets or air pipes), could that space be used to run a pipe from the tub drain to hole in floor? I see several air tubs that have room. Some have as much as 4" of clearance underneath. Manufacturers tell me center drain tubs have most space underneath.
3. If I built a platform for the tub to sit on (perhaps 4" high) could I then run a pipe from center of tub to hole in floor? If the drain was a couple of feet away (which would be the case of a center drain tub), could the pipe be pitched enough to have a good working drain? Would backflow be an issue?

I have spoken with several tub manufacturers and tub vendors and am having a tough time getting answers to my problem. I can't proceed with project until I figure this out.

Thanks

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
@ "I live in a condo with concrete floors. By rule, homeowners are not able to alter drain in floors"
Does it say so in the HOA bylaw booklet?

Dave Alessi

Reaction score
@ "I live in a condo with concrete floors. By rule, homeowners are not able to alter drain in floors"
Does it say so in the HOA bylaw booklet?
Not sure but super and board say you can’t mess with drain. They have to approve project.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks