Increase on-demand supply, shallow well

Users who are viewing this thread

dab2110

Reaction score
Hi All!

I may be taking some extra kids into the household for awhile, and I am a little worried about water supply.

I have a shallow well with a jet pump. I don't typically have any issues with water now, but with 3 extra bodies, I'm concerned specifically with having enough water at night, when everyone will want to shower. I don't think I have a macro-level supply issue, but I don't see us able to spread usage throughout the day enough to make it work.

I guess I'll avoid mentioning my wild guesses as to my options, and wait for the expert opinions. I've done all the olubming work in my house, including replacing the diaphragm tank. I would prefer an approach I can do myself.

Thanks in advance for all your input and help!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Test the well. Most wells can supply plenty of water. Open up three showers and three faucets worth of water at the same time. Let them run for 30 minutes or more. If your pump runs out of water you want it to happen while you are watching so you can turn it off. If it never drops in production after running max flow for 30 minutes to an hour, you have a good well and don't have to worry about it running dry.

When you have extra people in the house or more than one house on a system the pump cycling on and off is usually the biggest problem. Adding a larger or additional pressure tank will slow the cycling down. But adding a Cycle Stop Valve will stop the cycling, give you strong constant pressure, and work with the tank you have or an even smaller one.

dab2110

Reaction score
Some time ago, I got an above-ground pool, and filled it with the well. I was young, and didn't know any better than to just drop a hose in it and walk away. Soon I learned a little about the shallow well, and how to prime the pump.

I found I could run for about 30min every 2 hours.

A couple years ago, our area had a drought, and I ran into more trouble, but other than that it's been a long time since I've really pushed it to test. That said, what I do know about it convinces me that we won't be able to wash the dishes, take 4 showers, and run the laundry all at night, which would be the best routine.

Of course managing usage throughout the day will help, but I often won't be home to actively monitor usage, or prime the pump. So I definitly want to look into options.

dab2110

Reaction score
I can test the well, as you suggest, but won't actually have a good time to do that until after this weekend, and then I'm going out of town for thew week. So it'll be awhile.

I'll look into the cycle stop valve, and see how that might help.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Being able to run a hose for 30 minutes every 2 hours sounds like the well is only making about 1 GPM. That is still 1440 gallons per day, which can supply 3-5 houses. However, to be able to do that or use water when and how you want, you may need a cistern storage tank and a booster pump. Yuo can see how to do that with a jet pump or a submersible here.

LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

LOW YIELD WELL_SUB_PK1A.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks