HVAC Surge Protector Installation

Users who are viewing this thread

Scottmcll

Reaction score
I recently had an issue with my split-air HVAC system and with the VERY kind help of those here, was able to ferret out the problem was with blown circuit boards and it was recommended that I install a Ditek surge protector. Got it the other day, and while I'm 99% sure I've installed it correctly, I'd be most grateful if those, here, with corresponding experience would just have a look and confirm that it's right before I energize that circuit.

Attachments

• Surge Protector 1.jpg
    Surge Protector 1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 667
  • Surge Protector 2.jpg
    Surge Protector 2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 355

Scottmcll

Reaction score
Forgot to add the install illustration provided with the protector. Also, the line in from the panel is on the lower right. Line on the lower left is to the HVAC outdoor unit.

Attachments

• Surge Protector 3.jpg
    Surge Protector 3.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 358

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It appears that the diagram has the surge suppressor connected to the outlet of the fuses, but it should work either location. If you had a big enough surge to blow the fuses, though, it would provide more protection on the a/c side of the fuses. I have a similar device wired into my power panel so that it protects the whole house. I still use individual devices on expensive items, though.

Stuff

Reaction score
As mentioned you wired the SPD on the line side and the drawing shows wiring it on the load side. There is a code issue with the double tapped lugs which is a common call-out on inspection findings. Unless you have something from the manufacturer that says otherwise the lugs on the disconnect are not rated for multiple conductors. Notice the drawing does not show any other wires under the lugs and the directions state "8. Connect the phase (Black) wires to the load side of a 2 pole breaker." This is how Ditek can say they did not tell you to break any rules. It is ugly but the proper way is to add splices so each wire is using a single lug. A fussy inspector could say even the ground bar is not listed for multiple wires.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks