HVAC Condensate Drain Requirements

Users who are viewing this thread

jvdm

Reaction score
I am concerned that the condensate pipes from my HVAC unit are not installed to code. I live in Washington, DC.

The HVAC unit is in a closet off the kitchen in a second floor condo. Condensate from the furnace and air conditioner currently drain through a 1 inch pipe to an ejector pump on the closet floor. The pump pumps the condensate into a ½ inch rubber tube that runs up about 10 inches, through a hole in the wall, and into a pantry closet. It runs along the back wall of that closet (outside the wall, with no slope), and into the wall on the other side of the closet. I think it then connects to a sink drain, but I can’t be sure.

The pump is not sitting in a catch pan and it does not have an automatic shut off. If the pump failed, the condensate would leak into the back of the HVAC closet and damage the downstairs condo.

I am concerned this is not to code in Washington, DC because Section 314 of the Plumbing Code and Section 307 of the Mechanical Code require drain pipes that (1) are least the size of the connection on the appliance (i.e. 1 inch), (2) have a 1 percent slope to an approved piping fixture, and (3) do not decrease in size before they reach the piping fixture.

The pump and tube running out of the pump appear to violate these requirements because they (1) decreases the pipe diameter from 1 inch to ½ inch and (2) disrupt the 1 percent slope requirement.

The plumbing and mechanical codes also require that the condensate be discharged “in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions.” The instructions provide several options for condensate disposal, but none of the options show a pump.

Is my current configuration a code violation in Washington, DC? If not, what part of the code allows for my current configuration? Should I try to have the pump replaced with a 1 inch pipe that slopes down to the sink drain? What other issues should I be concerned about with this configuration?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you should spend more time worrying about world peace. Condensate water downstream of the pump doesn't need to be sloped as would a gravity drain. Peace, brother.

Stuff

Reaction score
Most condensate pumps have an option for a overflow switch to shut down the HVAC system if the tank fills. I would get that added along with an overflow switch on the secondary evaporator drain if there isn't already one. Is there a pan under the furnace/air unit? Those can have an overflow switch as well.

A lot of installs have sitting water in the condensate output hose so no big deal. Though there usually is a recommendation that there be a high loop at the pump.

jvdm

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. There is a pan and overflow switch under the furnace/air unit, but not under the pump. There's also no high loop, so thanks for those suggestions. I'm mostly interested in understanding what the code in DC requires, which is a little different than knowing what will work from a practical standpoint. Some states, like North Carolina, have specific requirements for pumps (like a pan and overflow switch) in Section 307.2.1 of the Mechanical Code, but I can't find anything similar in the DC codes. I'm sure the North Carolina code is perfectly adequate from a practical standpoint, but I'm interested in knowing what the DC code requires. From what I can see, the DC code does not have separate requirements for pumps and gravity drains, which seems strange to me. If anyone can point me to any applicable requirements for pumped systems in the DC code, I would definitely appreciate the help.

Dgeist

Reaction score
It sounds like you're mildly concerned about safety and damage and moreso a question of local code compliance, why not just call the local code office and flat out ask the question: I'm a homeowner and I want to make sure I'm in compliance with local codes. Even better, make a drawing as best you can and visit them. I know it varies alot from place to place, and I'm sure DC is no less different than anywhere else, but most inspectors I've heard of will be pretty accommodating if you come to them with a reasonable question and your facts gathered and it's not 10 minutes before quitting time.

P.S. As far as overflow protection is concerned, here's a unit on Amazon that can be installed in the power lead of your condenser (Or other applicable HVAC circuit) for under $20. even if you want to upgrade the whole pump, it can be done for under $50 (with optional free 2-day shipping!):
https://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant...2415&sr=8-1&keywords=condensate+pump+overflow

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks