How to make removable PVC connections

Users who are viewing this thread

Alchemizt

Reaction score
Gluing everything together, the issue I have is that when I need to change things later on, I have to cut the pipe and its sometimes I have to throw away joints and valves because theyre all glued together. What would be a good way to make non permanent connections? Is this what compression couplings are for?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Compression couplings want to blow out readily and do not hold unless they have some secure way to block blow-out.
Thrust blocking is the only good way to prevent such.
Threaded brass or S.S. with unions is the only way to easily take apart.

Alchemizt

Reaction score
Compression couplings want to blow out readily and do not hold unless they have some secure way to block blow-out.
Thrust blocking is the only good way to prevent such.
Threaded brass or S.S. with unions is the only way to easily take apart.
Ah I see. What about threaded PVC, is it completely unreliable?

Reach4

Reaction score
Gluing everything together, the issue I have is that when I need to change things later on, I have to cut the pipe and its sometimes I have to throw away joints and valves because theyre all glued together. What would be a good way to make non permanent connections? Is this what compression couplings are for?
Pressure plumbing or drain/vent plumbing?

If DWV, https://www.charlottepipe.com/Products/Assets/02C-PVC_List_Price/CTT-818 (5-7-21).pdf is a possibility. Premium price, but you can undo or rotate.

There are also PPI Glueless Soundproof fittings. I think those are cheaper. https://www.homedepot.com/s/ppi Glueless Soundproof?NCNI-5

For pressure pipe, there are more push-fittings available for CTS (copper tubing size) pipe. CPVC is CTS, as is PEX. And of course copper pipe is CTS.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks