How to Level a PVC Shower Drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I wood use a hak saw blade and cut ti back.
then wall, maybe a shielded coupling, or maybee glue a new one.

What do you mena the riat way is to change it, but howe do you shim it?
You 're cind, kind of confusing.

DerekW

Reaction score
A New Solution?

Markts...thanks for your response. I'm sorry but I have to ask...what's a shielded coupling (vs. a glued one)? If that's the fix I'll be happy to use it.

MadPlumber...sorry for being confusing...maybe you have to read the whole thread (maybe not!). The "shimming" I referred to was shimming the p-trap up 5/8" from where it is sitting now. This is a second floor bath; the p-trap is between 2 joists; it is sitting on a "strap" or cross-member strip of wood that was nailed perpindicular to the joists to attach the 1st floor ceiling sheet rock to. By "shimming" it, I meant putting a shim under the p-trap to raise it to a height that (with a former solution of using 2 street 22's) would give me the proper riser height.

Sorry folks but I'm not a plumber and I guess I'm struggling to explain the situation properly.

Thanks to all for hanging in there with me on this.

So, what is a shielded coupling and is that the answer??

(Grumpy, you've been with this thread....what think??)

Thanks......Derek:confused:

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I'm with Terry on this one, you should replace the P-trap & do it right. Often times, that's easier than all the fiddling trying to make something wrong "work anyways".

That said... shielded coupling is one of those rubber fittings, with the steel jacket over it. It seals via two hose clamps, one on each end?

Like this:

Attachments

• 37818569.JPG
    37818569.JPG
    4.2 KB · Views: 385

DerekW

Reaction score
OK, I'm Wearing Down...

:confused: Frenchie, thanks for chiming in...

I understand cutting/replacing the p-trap is the most "elegant" (correct?) solution. I will have to cut out a much larger section of sub-floor to do this but it can be done. I'm just wondering if (as a newbie) I will be able to get the new ptrap assembly any more plumb than the current one! I guess I will have to duplicate the existing trap plumbing (after cutting off the old), and just try to get the side-to-side dimension plumb as I glue it on (it goes into a "T" joint). Hhmmm.....

Any other thoughts out there?

Thanks much......"Stumped" Derek

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
not being there, no-one can see the situation. You being new at this, you may be leaving things out that would make an expert react differently. Example: if the P trap is at the end of of ten foot long pipe (horizontal with the nominal slope), and if you ask if you can raise it by 1/2" at the end where the P trap is, they'll say golly yes, but be sure you have supported that pipe along the way, cuz it'll sag in the middle and that will cause other problems sometimes quite serious ones too....

Now, you appear to have some flex in the pipe, but there is so much more to ask and answer about that pipe that you will be moving.... it's not because the flex is there (available), that it is right or wrong to use it... There is so much more downline that needs to be put into your first most basic explanation. That is how I look at it.

david

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Just looking at your pictures again... are you sure you'd need to cut away more subfloor to get at the trap? It occurs to me you have to cut away more flooring already, so your repair/fill-in piece can catch joists... but also that hole looks big enough to reach down, & over a bit...?

Like Mad Plumber said, a hacksaw blade could get in there. Or one of those "rope" saws (braided picture-hanging wire works pretty good, too).

I seriously think it'd be easier than all of this messing around with the 22's & etc.

I also noticed that the Ptrap isn't a proper trap, but an assembly of elbows, which is probably how things got so out-of-alignment in the first place. Each joint has a bit of play, and you have all these extra joints... to me that counts as more reason to just replace it.

Just my 2c, based on looking at pics on the internet, though. There's a lot of truth to what Genie just posted.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
At this point the best thing I'd say is what I already said....dry fit, dry fit, dry fit.
Trial n' error...cut it out....then use a coupling, trap and keep a PVC saw handy...cut your first pieces a lil' oversized...then put the whole thing in place without solvent...measure and subtract what needs to be cut off the existing pipe.
I think you're working this up to a much more intimidating thing than it is..I could be wrong.
It comes to a point where you do what Nike used to say..."Just do it".

DerekW

Reaction score
Better Explanation (Hopefully) and More Pics...

Shucks, looks like I'm either frustrating you good people by not being clear or giving enough info...certainly not what I intended :eek:

Will try to fix that here. Also, I'm very willing to try the solutions already proposed to me...I just have a few questions about those paths.

How I Got Here (good, bad, right or wrong!):
- the PVC plumbing in queston was originally connected to a brass drain, which was welded to a copper shower pan
- there was no pre-slope under the pan; no "weep holes" in the drain
- based on reading and suggestions from a ceramic tile forum I removed the old pan/drain, and cut the riser off below the threaded coupling the drain screwed into
- I am proceeding with a Kerdi shower and drain (Schluter Systems; see johnbridge.com); the drain/shower design requires that the top of the riser be approx. 1 1/2" below the subfloor for proper drain height (getting level/plumb was also emphasized)
- The riser section left after cutting the old stuff out was too short, so I was proceeding to build it to the proper height with a coupling and another section of 2" pipe
- I glued the coupling onto the existing riser piece, then before gluing on the final piece, thought to check for plumb
- It wasn't (see previous pics)
- I came here

What I've Got:

- Pic "shower-drain7" shows the cut-out I made in the sub-floor. Cut out is approx. 14" x 14" (from inside of one joist to another); I built 2 x 4 blocking to support the sub-floor patch that will go in; patch has approx. 5" diameter hole cut for Kerdi drain. This pic also shows the "p-trap" (which Frenchie correctly spotted is actually several elbows glued together) sitting on one of a series of straps or shims that the first floor ceiling sheet rock was attached to.

- Pic "shower-drain8" shows what I've been calling the p-trap - actually 3 elbow sections

- (OK here we go!) To Genie's last point/question about what comes downstream from the "p-trap", running between the 2 floor joists....there is (are) in order: a small 2" section of pipe; then 2 more elbows (either 22 or 45), each about 5 inches long; then another 3" section of pipe; then a "T" coupling, off of which comes an elbow and piping that heads off 90 degrees through a joist on one side (goes to a tub drain I believe). The distance from the center of the "p-trap" and that T is about 22". Pic "shower-drain12" shows those 2 elbows, the 3" section of pipe, and the T (a little out of focus). Pic "shower-drain9" shows the T more clearly. Pic "shower-drain10" shows the pipe off the T going into the joist. (these pics were the best I could do...holding the camera between the joists without looking and firing!)

- I couldn't get a pic further downstream from that T, but out the other end of the T is another section of pipe, then another 90 degree elbow which takes another piece of pipe through the joist on the other side. The distance from the center of the "p-trap" to this last elbow in the run is approx. 42"

- Per Genie's point, all of this may determine the answer to my question of whether or not I can shim the "p-trap" up a little and put a little stress on the whole assemblage.

What Should I Do? :confused:

- Option 1 (no special order): cut out the "p-trap" and start over. Since the "p-trap" is really those 3 elbows, my question here is, "cut where, at what point?" I can get to the elbows (I think) with the existing cut-out in the sub-floor. If I have to cut further downstream I'll have to cut out more sub-floor....not my preference, but I'll do it of no other options are good

- Option 2: a shielded coupling. Sounds interesting, but being a guy who can't spell "p-i-p-e", I have to ask, "where would I insert it, given the existing assemblage, and how would it help get the riser plumb?"

- Option 3: two street 22's. I was headed happily down this path. Got the 22's; was practicing dry-fitting them with the existing assemblage. Then I started thinking about the height I need for the drain (top of riser approx. 1 1/2" below sub-floor)....a couple ways to go...
-- Method 3A: start from what's there. Coming out of "p-trap" is 1 1/4" of pipe ("riser"); then the coupling at about 1 7/8". Since I'd want to end up with the male end of a 22 to comprise the final "riser" for the drain, I figured I'd put a 2" section of pipe into the coupling...1" into the coupling, and the female end of the 22 would overlap the other 1", so the coupling and 22 would be flush with each other. Finally, it looks like the two 22's glued together would be approx. 5" - 5 1/4" long/high.
Currently, there is 7 3/8" between the "p-trap" and the sub-floor. To have the top of the riser 1 1/2" below subfloor means that whatever I have coming out of the "p-trap" can only be approx. 5 7/8' (say 6 "inches rounded off). 1 1/4" pipe, plus 1 7/8" for coupling, plus 5 - 5 1/4" for two 22's equals approx. 8 1/2".....about 2 1/2" TOO HIGH.

-- Method 3B: cut off the coupling first. Now I start with the 1 1/4" piece of pipe coming out of the "p-trap". Then the two 22's, the female end of the first 22 sliding over the pipe by about 1", with the male end of the top 22 serving as the "riser" for the drain. Now I've got 1/4" of the pipe coming out of the "p-trap", plus 5" or 5 1/4" for a total of 5 1/4" or 5 1/2"....3/4" or 1/2" TOO LOW! Now, will this matter? Not 100% sure, but the specs for the Kerdi drain say it needs at least 1 1/4" of mud floor supporting it, so I'm trying to be precise and get that.

Now this is where I got the idea of "shimming" the "p-trap" up 1/2" - 3/4". If I could do that without causing future problems I could go with the two 22 solution and be a happy camper.

Soooo... sorry for being long-winded but I hope this is clear and that I'm giving all the appropriate info. I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious but I don't see it.

Would you hang in with me for one more round here and help me decide if it should be Door #1, Door #2, or Door #3? (or other?)

THANKS A MILLION EVERYONE!!.....Derek

Attachments

• Shower-Drain7.jpg
    Shower-Drain7.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 346
  • Shower-Drain8.jpg
    Shower-Drain8.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 369
  • Shower-Drain12.jpg
    Shower-Drain12.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 372
  • Shower-Drain9.jpg
    Shower-Drain9.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 346
  • Shower-Drain10.jpg
    Shower-Drain10.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 375

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
If you are game for it, the BEST way would be to replace the trap...
Getting the new one plumb would be fairly easy as you can glue it in then rotate it till it is dead plumb...
The other options are really just "if you don't want to do it right, do it THIS way" options... They are not "wrong", but secondary / inferior solutions...

DerekW

Reaction score
Genie/Grumpy/Frenchie? Why Not Hire a Pro?

Thanks markts....I know my last post was long but I was trying to respond to people's comments of not being clear enough or not giving enough info. I guess I lost my other helpers in the process! :(

Because the existing assemblage is out of plumb in 2 planes (front/back; side/side), I suppose I have to go downstream of the current "p-trap" (actually 3 elbows), past the 2 other elbows, and re-create that whole assemblage to be plumb in the front/back plane; then turn it as I glue it on to plumb it in the side-to-side plane (if I could "shim" it up 1/2" - 3/4" it would be plumb in the front/back plane, then I would only have to worry about side-to-side but I understand that may cause future problems).

One last thing...I've seen comments on this site about how DIY'ers are just out to save $ by not hiring a pro and will ultimately screw things up. Not true in my case. This house is in a small town in Maine; I have called 3 local plumbers; none have called me back. That's why I came for help here.

Thanks all........Derek

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
markts30 said:
If you are game for it, the BEST way would be to replace the trap...
Getting the new one plumb would be fairly easy as you can glue it in then rotate it till it is dead plumb...
The other options are really just "if you don't want to do it right, do it THIS way" options... They are not "wrong", but secondary / inferior solutions...

Exactly...cut it before the trap..start fresh by dryfitting it to where you need it...then mark the hubs and pipes with a sharpie, then prime and glue.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As you've probably found out, when you dry fit pvc pipe and fittings, you can't get the bits in all the way to the stop, or if you somehow do, it is nearly impossible to get apart. So, keep that in mind...when you actually do glue it, it will end up shorter. You might find that if you cut off before the trap and just put in a coupler, you might gain enough length (only a small amount) and you could rotate it which may give you what you need.

DerekW

Reaction score
Thanks Everyone...

Jim, thanks...yes, I've noticed that about dry-fitting PVC. (see you back on jb.com)

Thanks everyone...off to do some work...

Will probably be back....only have a house to finish!

DerekW:)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks