How to Empty and Refill Water Softener and Brine Tank

Users who are viewing this thread

RandoXY

Reaction score
I've got dirty water inside the brine and softener tanks. I asked the plumber who installed the system what to do and he said to do a manual regeneration. That did not work. The problem is that I forgot to turn off the water softener during a water main flush, so the softener syphoned a lot of dirty water into the system.

Cleaning out the brine tank seems easy and straightforward from all the information I've found on the internet. However, I haven't found any information on this problem and how to clean the dirty water from the water softener. Am I right in assuming that once the brine tank is clean, the clean water from the brine tank will flush out the softener tank? Or is there something else I also need to do?

Reach4

Reaction score
If you are in North Dakota, it is unlikely that your softener tank will be outdoors.

How long has this softener been softening city water? It might be time to change out your resin anyway.

Anyway, I would first try a long backwash... 30 to 60 minutes or more. With most softeners, if you start a regeneration, and you remove power during the backwash, the backwash will continue. Then after power resumes, trigger a manual regen. I am not a pro.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks