How do you remove an older American Standard Tub/ Shower Handle?

Users who are viewing this thread

George T Davis III

Reaction score
I have seen a You Tube video that shows the older handle being removed with a small straight edged screwdriver. That's great! The video gives the impression, the handle is being removed by releasing something inside the handle, rather than loosening a screw! I'd simply like to be able to replace the Ceramix Valve inside and re-install the handle. I know the newer models require an allen wrench, that's much simpler! But that's not the issue here. The correct answer would be appreciated!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Got a photo of the handle you are trying to remove that you could upload here?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
ceramix-parts-1.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
So looks like that one has a plastic cover that is pressed in. Something sharp to pry it out like a razor blade or a dental pick.

George T Davis III

Reaction score
Actually no. There's an access on the bottom of the handle. If you look at the parts breakdown that Terry placed on this post, it shows the access on the bottom of the handle. As I stated previously, a flat edged screwdriver should work, since there is no set screw for an allen wrench. I know that a flat edged screwdriver is used, but there's no clear guidance on just how the screwdriver is used. I haven't located a screw to remove.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks