How bad is this proposed radiator layout? White Bear Lake MN

Users who are viewing this thread

Eclecticmn

Homeowner with hot water cast iron radiators
Reaction score
Long story. Homeowner in New Brighton MN. I cannot get the bottom 1 1/2 plugs out of my hot water cast iron radiators. I bought them used. No central heating in kitchen for 24 years. I think I talked to some plumber from White Bear Lake long ago. What happens if I enter the bottom and exit the top on the opposite side?

What percent off perfection would this layout be? 1 inch O2 barrier pex B. I mean professionals often compare themselves to perfect. I wonder if I would get any heat.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Bottom bottom is best. In low out high causes a heat trap not all sections will get hot. Bushings have a hex sticking out for a wrench or socket? 6 point socket and a 3/4" impact, maybe torch and a cheater on a breaker bar. Radiator probably has been painted with lead paint. Here is a very good book by Dan Holohan
Classic Hydronics

Eclecticmn

Homeowner with hot water cast iron radiators
Reaction score
Thanks. Would the heat be applied to outside of the 1 1/2 inch threaded hole? What is the purpose of the heat?
I likely damaged/rounded the fitting by now.

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
Heat would go to the outside of the plug it expands the metal. Radius design socket pulls from the flats and not the corners. Autozone might have some under axle hub socket from their loan a tool program.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks