How bad is this? Offset flange in concrete floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Cranraspberry

Reaction score
We had a toilet leaking at the base and here’s what the plumber found when the toilet came off. The way they explained it was that the rough in was too short for our 10” Kohler, and the proposed solution was to jackhammer in a new pipe (we’re on a concrete slab) to the tune of $3K. When I asked about potentially moving the small bumpout wall behind the toilet they said it was a possibility as well.

Do you think that putting in the Toto Drake 10” that is rumored to fit 9” rough ins be an option here? Is that cast iron (?) flange going to be a big problem? Basically how much of a nightmare scenario is this? Preparing for a bathroom remodel and trying to understand how many painful surprises we are in for.

4FF02F51-E4B2-41A4-A4FF-B085C0F54638.jpeg
4AE3E267-A774-4398-AE61-686C3BDEB43D.jpeg
5EA41207-67F4-43C3-9079-716AD0FF13F5.jpeg

Believe it or not this solution lasted a good 15 years before it started leaking:
4BB103A8-635E-406F-A8F5-9C4363EF4F5B.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
Keep cleaning. Note that when you measure, you measure the horizontal distance to the wall, rather than the baseboard.

Use a square at the bolts, and try to adjust the bolts so that a vertical line through the bolt to be about 11.5 inches from the plane of the wall. There is some leeway/slop.

Cranraspberry

Reaction score
Thank you for the response! Sorry, I should have clarified - these pictures were taken when the plumber was here. The baseboard is 3/4” thick however the toilet base was fitted with a narrow tank so I assumed it was already as small as they could go and still too big for our pipe.

I am a plumbing novice, just trying to understand my options and find the best solution (which hopefully doesn’t involve a jackhammer).

Cranraspberry

Reaction score
So after measuring again it appears that we have a 12” rough in toilet with a slim tank and that whole flange situation. Why on earth did they not just put in a 10” toilet?? This makes me think that fixing the flange is going to be more of a problem than I had hoped.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks