Hole size for 1 in. (and ½ and ¾) PEX carrying hot & cold water joist/stud penetration...

Users who are viewing this thread

iconoclast hero

Reaction score
I've spent a ridiculous amount of time and a lot of aggravation trying to find this number. At this point I really need it for 1 in PEX, hot and cold, mainly through joists. The hole I punched through block/brick is plenty big enough.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I use 1 3/8 bit on 1/2 3/4 and 1 inch and use . look up water pipe insulator or trisulator and youll see they take 1 3/8 hole

iconoclast hero

Reaction score
I use 1 3/8 bit on 1/2 3/4 and 1 inch and use . look up water pipe insulator or trisulator and youll see they take 1 3/8 hole
I ran about 22', 15' through joists and then through a brick-faced block wall.* It sucked. When I run the hot, I'm usin' 1½ (largest spade bit I have—grateful for my impact driver!).

*I did that with a ca. 2" carbide hole saw in my rotary hammer so it wasn't exactly "precise." I'm wondering if I should change the hot to 65 mm/2.56 in. I don't know if that will be big enough for any kind of insulation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks