Help Identify this shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Rocknroj

Reaction score
I have the wall open and am looking at the back of this thing. Not sure what kind of valve body this is nor have I seen the type of connection. Some plastic with a crimp attached to a sweated in stub. The thing is flopping around. It has a single lever that when turned on starts hot and the further I turn it gets colder. So reversed I guess.. Viewed from the back the hot line is on the left.. Here's a picture of the back of the valve. Any help appreciated.. Thanks in advance
shower_valve.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's a Moen Posi-Temp.
The cartridge can be rotated 180 and that will allow it to start off cold and then rotate to hot, which will be more volume than you had with the reversed hot and cold that you've had.

moen-notch-down.jpg

moen_posi-temp.jpg

Takes the 1222 cartridge.

moen_flemming3.jpg

Last edited:

Rocknroj

Reaction score
Thanks for the info... Loads of help!

What kind of connection did they make to the shower head and supply lines? I have never seen it before and no luck searching the net. Looks like an adapter sweated to the valve with some sort of crimp connected vinyl supply line. Same thing in the original copper coming up the wall.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The color is sorta hard to tell in the photo, but if its white/opaque then its just PEX with a viega style crimp. If its a gray tube, then likely its PEXAlPEX which is a layer of aluminum sandwiched between PEX layers.

Rocknroj

Reaction score
It more opaque white.. so that would be PEX B fitting, and not compatible with the expansion type PEX that I am used to working with correct?

I will pull the trim today and see if I can get a better look at the valve from the front side.

thanks again

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Thanks for the info... Loads of help!

What kind of connection did they make to the shower head and supply lines? I have never seen it before and no luck searching the net. Looks like an adapter sweated to the valve with some sort of crimp connected vinyl supply line. Same thing in the original copper coming up the wall.
I'm "kinda" sure that's a crimp fitting sold by HD or Lowes that was a precursor to the copper crimps they sell now, it's one of two types of crimps.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its a Viega fitting. You can see the "window" cut in the crimp that indicates that the tube was inserted fully.
We just sold a bunch of these fittings back to one of our suppliers.

1671042303510.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks