HDPE (black poly) drop pipe Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Madscientistii

Reaction score
Is it OK to use 1 inch SD1R 160 PSI rated black poly for a drop in well or should you use a thick wall pipe like a SDR-7 160 PSI rated pipe?

the first one is whats most commonly available around me for water systems.

thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
You would normally use SIDR (standard inside diameter ratio) pipe. That lets the pipe fit the same barbs whether you use 160 psi or 200 psi or whatever. The size spec is ASTM D2239. If you instead used constant outside diameter SDR pipe, the ID changes as the pressure rating changes; that would not let you use standard size barbs.

Madscientistii

Reaction score
You would normally use SIDR (standard inside diameter ratio) pipe. That lets the pipe fit the same barbs whether you use 160 psi or 200 psi or whatever. The size spec is ASTM D2239. If you instead used constant outside diameter SDR pipe, the ID changes as the pressure rating changes; that would not let you use standard size barbs.

Ok. My reference is working from and with old pipe here. Thank you for pointing out that it is SD-I-R and not SD-1-R.

With that in mind then. Will a SDIR 11.5 160PSI rated black poly be OK for a new drop pipe? or Should I use 200psi rated?

My concern is it is thinner than the original pipe....

Thank you to all the experts. :)

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
With that in mind then. Will a SDIR 11.5 160PSI rated black poly be OK for a new drop pipe? or Should I use 200psi rated?
Probably. That depends on the pressure it will see, and that depends on how deep the well is, and what backpressure is expected.

200 ft well with a submersible at 180 ft, feeding a 44 gallon pressure tank in your house? The 180 ft adds 78 PSI. So you may be OK. Upgrading to 200 PSI would give more margin. Pump is at 120 ft? 160 would be plenty I expect. The 160 spec pipe actually should have good margin itself.

If you wanted to be extra careful, you could check the deadhead pressure rating of that pump. That should give a worst case number. Again, 160 pipe rating has margin, so if the deadhead pressure was 170, that is probably fine.

Now how do I know that the 160 psi pipe is up to expectations? I don't know how much to trust a generic irrigation pipe to be up to standards. A branded pipe might be better if available. I am not a pro.

You use two worm gear clamps on each barb, with the worms on opposite sides of the pipe. The exception would be if you get a special long barb that has space for 3 clamps. That would be for a deeper well.

It is usually best to not have a safety line. Use good tape to tape the wire. Scotch super 66 is good, and there are special well tapes that are good. Don't use the bargain tapes or duct tape. There are different opinions on the bumpers called torque arresters. Search out discussions, and make your decision.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks