Easy Disconnect

Users who are viewing this thread

JerseyJim

Reaction score
I just purchased a well x trol wx-250 tank for the house to replace the one we have. I noted that 3/4" Pex piping is on the outlet side of the tank tee and 1" poly 160 psi black piping feeds the input side from the well. I was planning on getting a stainless steel tank tee with a gauge, relief valve, drain spigot, and a ball valve. The tank is a 1-1/4" stainless steel fitting, so the tank tee would be 1-1/4". This whole system is under the house in the crawl space (most cramped space to work, uggh). My question is how to adapt the inputs and outputs of the tank in general and what I might do to make this part of the job easier in the future. Unions? Quik Disconnects? I have the ball valve on the output of the tank tee. Any advice would be appreciated.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I have a similar installation in my crawlspace and use several unions, including double union ball valves mainly because I have a high iron content which necessitates disassembly to clean out the iron buildup.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I hate that you already purchased the tank. A 4.5 gallon size tank is all you need when working with a Cycle Stop Valve. It fits much easier in a crawl space and does a much better job than just a 44 gallon size pressure tank that only holds 10 gallons of water.

PK1A sub pitless house.jpg

PK!A ustomer photo.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
Typically the tank tee will have both 1-1/4" MPT and 1" FPT connections on each end.

If you use the 1 inch, don't overtorque the connection, because some tank tees are subject to splitting. I forget where I read that warning.

I expect a good pressure tank, that is properly sized, to last decades. A 44 gallon wx-250 tank is a nice size. So rather than unions being necessary, plastic pipe can be sawed and new couplings glued on if PVC or CPVC (or crimped/expanded on if PEX) if changes are needed. A tank tee is convenient, but not necessary. Do you plan on having a tank tee with a union? If no union, kit https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin...id-Brass-Tank-Tee-Package-30-50-PSI-Lead-Free (brass) looks good to me. https://www.supplyhouse.com/Boshart...inless-Steel-Union-Tank-Tee-Package-30-50-PSI would be a package that is stainless with union. One more thing... stainless to stainless can have problems getting stuck. Search term: galling stainless anti-seize

LLigetfa has a lot more iron than typical, so his situation is special.

What kind of PEX connections do you use? Crimp, clamp, expansion? You could also consider increasing the PEX size to 1 inch up until the hot feed and the cold feed tees off.

When putting your SIDR poly pipe onto the barb, you will need to heat the pipe first. Boiling water is the safest, because flame takes experience I think.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks