Foam outlet for heat loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

chessimprov

Reaction score
Does it matter which side of a foam outlet you put where in order to minimize the amount of heat one loses by the outlet?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If I understand your question, no. Most of those I've seen look the same on both sides. You're talking about the foam insulating sheets that go over receptacles and switches and underneath the cover plate I'm assuming. IF that's not true, then I don't understand your question.

chessimprov

Reaction score
If I understand your question, no. Most of those I've seen look the same on both sides. You're talking about the foam insulating sheets that go over receptacles and switches and underneath the cover plate I'm assuming. IF that's not true, then I don't understand your question.

That's exactly what a foam outlet is. :)

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I can't really see where such a thin piece of foam really does much good unless it also stops air infiltration. I think they are mostly placebo.

chessimprov

Reaction score
A local electrician told me to use them for covering up air drafts. I think they helped a little. It's not so easy for me to consider adding insulation within the walls as where I live is under an HOA.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If there are air drafts then if they do actually reduce the amount of air then sure, go ahead and use them. I guess a before and after with a smoke pencil should show if they work. I've no need for them as I insulated and sealed around all my outlets when I built my house.

Not sure how cold it gets in Philly but some of the rentals I've lived in here in Canada have had outlets so frosted up I worried about getting a shock from touching them.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
When looking up what these things should be called (typically outlet gaskets or something like that), I ran across a home inspector person who used his infrared thermometer and did a before and after on his outside wall outlets. Made a significant difference so apparently they can help with cold air infiltration.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The primary advantage of using them is as a gasket to stop air infiltration...not as insulation. They do work. Some really cheap receptacles will let air through them rather than around them, so in that case, it doesn't help as much (replace those cheap receptacles!).

A modern house with a properly installed house wrap may not see any advantage. Lots of older ones will. On a cold, windy day, feel around them on the windy side of the house. You might get a good draft!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks