Flat Roof Drain Help

Users who are viewing this thread

oramos

Reaction score
Hello, I have what I thought was a simple question but can’t find a good answer. I need to move the exiting interior drain on a flat roof as a skylight is being installed there. It is a small roof with a 2 round drain currently. The plan is to replace it with a scuppper . Issue is where scupper would go is righ above a door/window such that water needs to be caught and diverted. all the leader boxes I have seen have a downspout going right off the bottom which wouldn’t work as that would cross the window. So I need a leader box with a horizontal exit or can the scupper just flow into a standard horizontal gutter? Any feedback would be much appreciated

1686482049532.png

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
I do not think there is any code requirements other than a septic roof vent and its location on the roof and minimum distance to an open windows. You need to look at the piping of the drain under the roof. If this is an old home it might be tied to the sewer system, it would have to be properly capped off. If there is a slight pitch of the roof for rain gutters, you can dump the water anyway you can as long it serves the purpose to prevent damage to the structure. Properly sealing the roof portion around the skylight and to allow proper water flow around the skylight is what is important. Scuppers are usually much larger than a down spout for a rain gutters. Depending on the amount of water that will flow to toward the skylight may determine to use a scupper or rain gutters.

oramos

Reaction score
Thank you

Totally agree about getting the draining around the Skylight correctly.

The drain being removed will be capped and it currently feeds into the drain pipe for the lower floor which will continue to exist.

I was thinking the the scupper would feed into the gutter (the gutter would run perpendicular to the scupper so the width is ok) so the water would run within the gutter to the edge of the wall where there would be a downspout. I only need the scupper was the roof now has a 1" lip that would block the flow. Im not sure scupper is the right term as I'm really just eliminating the lip in a section of the roof below which there would be a gutter

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks