First time soldering, can this be trusted?

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
But there are no manufactures that recommend both until you get to 2" threads.

I think that's changing now. Beckett/Firomatic is now recommending both tape and dope be used on their valves under 1".

I've been doing this recently wrapping the tape down first, then a light coat of dope.

John

Slomoola

Reaction score
When I use teflon tape, no matter the wrapped direction, and yes wound the right way is better, I get tape movement WHEN tightening the fitting. And the more you wrap on the worse that condition gets.

Dope is so much easier for me. Don't have to worry about how many turns of teflon is best and if it is really doing anything to seal.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
When I use teflon tape, no matter the wrapped direction, and yes wound the right way is better, I get tape movement WHEN tightening the fitting.

If you're using that cheap roll that Walmart or Depot sells, that happens. But the good stuff - the thick stuff - won't move much if at all. Four or five turns of good quality brand name heavy tape won't move and it will seal.

I now put a thin schmear of dope over the top of the teflon because some manufacturers are now recommending using both, maybe since more Chinese threaded pipe is around?

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks