First time soldering, can this be trusted?

Users who are viewing this thread

PepeLePue

Reaction score
Hi- Trying my luck with water heater install. So far nothing leaks but is that the end of the story? Can I feel comfortable that this isn’t going to pop a leak in few days or weeks? I left it pressurized/filled up the tank, and no signs of water anywhere.

Can I sleep at night or should I just redo this in propress? I have access to rent the tool and don’t mind spending the money on the fittings if it’s going to give me peace of mind.

C0869159-B654-4B38-8443-CD7FFBF264B3.jpeg
IMG_6507.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6432.jpeg
    IMG_6432.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6539.png
    IMG_6539.png
    917.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6538.png
    IMG_6538.png
    880 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6537.png
    IMG_6537.png
    949.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6534.png
    IMG_6534.png
    926.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6535.png
    IMG_6535.png
    821.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6536.png
    IMG_6536.png
    937.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6533.png
    IMG_6533.png
    886.8 KB · Views: 46

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
They look good to me. The one with the slight pitting still looks like its complete.. but by this time you would know. How did it go?

PepeLePue

Reaction score
Well it didn’t leak just scared to leave the water on. This is a renovation project so no one is there overnight. Worried it will spring a leak overnight

PepeLePue

Reaction score
Awesome. Thank you. Have 2 other tanks to do, will be using propress this shit took way too long lol

PepeLePue

Reaction score
They look good to me. The one with the slight pitting still looks like its complete.. but by this time you would know. How did it go?
The pitting you mean on the ball valve ? Just want to be clear which connection. Is there an easy way to fix/fill or only way to really fix it is remove?

PepeLePue

Reaction score
Finished up all of the connections fired it up. Have hot water !

IMG_6627.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6628.jpeg
    IMG_6628.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 38

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The T&P discharge line is a drain that is hooked up directly to the tank and therefore your potable water supply. It is required that the end of the discharge line have an physical Airgap between its termination and the floor drain of at least 1.5".

Slomoola

Reaction score
Nice work. Most important thing you did was wipe off the flux.

Just to nitpick, I would use more 45's if you could. Several spots you could of used them here. Or find some sweeping copper 90's. Keeps the flow up.

6534 looks to be rather globby with the solder. Less solder is more. Just like window cleaner.

My opinion, teflon tape is so 1984 for me. Use pipe dope. Again nitpicking from my chair LOL. Great job sir.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Pic 6534 that's called capping the joint looks good. Question were u wearing cotton or jersey gloves? Did u touch any soldering surface with a bare hand or finger before soldering? Impressed gas drip leg piped correctly.

Slomoola

Reaction score
Pic 6534 that's called capping the joint looks good. Question were u wearing cotton or jersey gloves? Did u touch any soldering surface with a bare hand or finger before soldering? Impressed gas drip leg piped correctly.
Call it what you like. Still can cause solder daming inside the pipe creating water flow turbulence and later pipe leaks. Again less is more.

I've seen a LOT worse far as using too much solder. This guy did a solid job.

PepeLePue

Reaction score
The T&P discharge line is a drain that is hooked up directly to the tank and therefore your potable water supply. It is required that the end of the discharge line have a physical Airgap between its termination and the floor drain of at least 1.5".
Ok I can just cut it then just above the floor?

PepeLePue

Reaction score
The T&P discharge line is a drain that is hooked up directly to the tank and therefore your potable water supply. It is required that the end of the discharge line have a physical Airgap between its termination and the floor drain of at least 1.5".
Ok I can just cut it then just above the floor? How do I keep it from falling down? Is there a good way to suspend it in air?

PepeLePue

Reaction score
I was bare handed. Should I wear gloves?

PepeLePue

Reaction score
Nice work. Most important thing you did was wipe off the flux.

Just to nitpick, I would use more 45's if you could. Several spots you could of used them here. Or find some sweeping copper 90's. Keeps the flow up.

6534 looks to be rather globby with the solder. Less solder is more. Just like window cleaner.

My opinion, teflon tape is so 1984 for me. Use pipe dope. Again nitpicking from my chair LOL. Great job sir.
I used blue monster 1/2” tape (4–5 wraps) and then Megaloc blue dope

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok I can just cut it then just above the floor? How do I keep it from falling down? Is there a good way to suspend it in air?
You could use a copper 2 hole strap screwed to the water heater outer skin. Use 1/2" sheet metal screws. The tank should have around 2" of insulation between the skin and the tank.

I was bare handed. Should I wear gloves?
Probably, but I doubt you could contaminate a solder joint in such a manner.. I've never heard of this. Especially if you cleaned the joint area then applied flux and then soldered. That would remove any potential contaminates. I only started wearing gloves while soldering to keep the flux and contaminates on the pipe from getting on my hands. I have permanent callouses and skin cracking from exposure while soldering.

I used blue monster 1/2” tape (4–5 wraps) and then Megaloc blue dope
Using dope over tape is a wives tale. But if it worked it worked.

PepeLePue

Reaction score
You could use a copper 2 hole strap screwed to the water heater outer skin. Use 1/2" sheet metal screws. The tank should have around 2" of insulation between the skin and the tank.

Probably, but I doubt you could contaminate a solder joint in such a manner.. I've never heard of this. Especially if you cleaned the joint area then applied flux and then soldered. That would remove any potential contaminates. I only started wearing gloves while soldering to keep the flux and contaminates on the pipe from getting on my hands. I have permanent callouses and skin cracking from exposure while soldering.

Using dope over tape is a wives tale. But if it worked it worked.
My normal process was clean the pipe with the drill attachment, apply flux, then put it into the fitting. I touched the pipe but unlikely that I touched it where the solder was going.

Thanks for the tip on the 1/2" screws. I was wondering how I would attach the condensate drain hose so that its not hanging loose.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks