ferrous iron in pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Kookieman69

Reaction score
gentlemen , I replaceing old electric water heater the supply lines that are brown from ferrous iron ,I have installed a water filtration system and need to know what I can do to flush out supply lines, i have thoght about putting something in tank before hooking up cold water supply line heating water , then turn on each spicket til hot water comes out then turning them off and letting them soak before flushing out . what and how much would you recommed or is this a bad idea your thoughts would be apprciated, mike

Fitter30

Reaction score

Reach4

Reaction score
I am also thinking this might not be a good idea. If I were to try to dissolve rust, I would be thinking Iron Out. IO has a smell, but not that bad IMO.

If doing this, I would consider putting a utility pump in the sink or tub, and let that supply a garden hose. The garden hose would connect into a spigot. That could be the drain valve for the water heater, or some place before that. But the solution would circulate. Then you would have to do significant flushing.

Now is this just going to cause more rusting? Your old galvanized may have a rust patina which is fairly passive by now.

So despite my musings, I would not suggest that you actually do this.

Repiping, as much as practical, with copper or PEX would be the cleanest.

Kookieman 69

Reaction score
thanks for replying, I am still reviewing options , since most of the iron was deposited in tank I thought about iron out I don't think a filter would be necessary since new water coming in would be softened and clean when coming out of new tank

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks