Faucet and valve handle woes in old house

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom K

Reaction score
Hi there - I'm having a real challenge with some minor issues in our bathroom and could use some advice:

1. The cross handle on one of our tub faucets (see first 3 photos) is loose and repeatedly falls off the stem (chipping our tub each time it falls!). The other three faucet handles are well-attached but I'm not sure how since there's no set screw. Can you let me know how I should go about reattaching the handle to the stem?

2. I have the opposite problem on the shut-off valves for the bathroom (second 3 photos). Years ago, a plumber fixed a leak in the valve and broke through the tiles and I'm just getting around to fixing the tile. I need to remove the handles in order to replace the tile but I can't get the handle to budge after removing the screw in the center of the handle and applying WD-40. Can you let me know whether it's even possible to just remove the handle without removing the stem, and if so how to go about doing it?

Many thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4556.jpg
    IMG_4556.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_4558.jpg
    IMG_4558.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_4559.jpg
    IMG_4559.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_4570.jpg
    IMG_4570.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_4571.jpg
    IMG_4571.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_4568.jpg
    IMG_4568.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 119
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks