Escutcheon screw stuck

Users who are viewing this thread

MOB19

Reaction score
I have a leaky shower valve.

I’ve fixed a few leaky faucets before, so I thought this would be no different, but I cannot even get the escutcheon off to figure out what kind of valve I have.

Both screws on the escutcheon have issues. I was able to back one screw out enough to spray PB Blaster behind the escutcheon and that screw has loosened up enough that I think I can remove it, but the other screw, circled in the attached picture, only rotates an 1/8 of a turn before it completely seizes up. Both screws feel like they are bent.

I’m concerned that if I keep turn the one screw that I will snap it. So my questions are,

1. Any more recommendations on how to loosen the screw up?

2. If the screw doesn’t loosen up, what is a good plan going forward?

Attachments

• Shower_Escutcheon .jpg
    Shower_Escutcheon .jpg
    67 KB · Views: 352

Reach4

Reaction score
You could try carefully cutting a slot with a cutoff wheel on a Dremel tool.

More likely to work IMO would be to drill out the head. Start small, maybe 1/16 inch carefully centered. Then increase the drill size incrementally until you are at the diameter of the screw. Once you get the escutcheon off, grab the screw stub with fine-patterned-jaw locking pliers.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, you may not need to remove the escutcheon at all to replace the cartridge...remove the handle first with the tubular piece behind it and see what access you have.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks