Enclosed tub - braided 1/2" lines

Users who are viewing this thread

IslandFlyer

Reaction score
Good Day All - my father in laws tub was just replaced and while the cold water comes out fine the hot water line is abysmal.

This is the only photo I took but I can get in closer. Are 1/2" faucet lines supposed to be used here?

The plumber is saying that it's the instant hot water heaters fault, yet the sink faucet and shower both are fine. The tub before it didn't have an issue either.

My first thought was the 1/2" lines (the supply PVC/CPVC appears to be 3/4).

Any thoughts? Many thanks!

20211016_192643.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does the guy have a license? Looks more like something a (not very good) handyman might do.

Is that threaded T bronze or galvanized...can't tell for sure. If galvanized, expect issues later, too.

Admittedly, the plumbing inspectors some places are hacks, and can be bought off, but on the whole, they're pretty good at what they do.

IslandFlyer

Reaction score
Thanks guys! We're in the Bahamas...so no inspectors. I'll check the PEX option if available, and also get another plumber involved.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, both PEX and the hoses will have a smaller ID than rigid copper, so that can become a flow restriction and impact the dynamic pressure.

It looks like they used compression fittings. Those generally do not require any tape on the threads to seal. If they used tape, it might be they weren't careful putting it all together, and some of it is now obstructing the flow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks