Ejector Pump Guru

Users who are viewing this thread

Sourcingman

Reaction score
I have a situation where there is a duplex ejector pump only a few feet from the main sewer connection. The plumber ran the vent line up about 2 feet from the pit and slapped on a studor vent.

I understand that there’s a specific way to install an AAV on ejector pumps that ties back into the sewer line. I also understand the ideal scenario is to vent this all the way to the roof.

My question is, can someone explain what is at risk of happening if the only vent is a studor vent on this waste pit?

Reach4

Reaction score
May I also assume there is a check valve? I think that is the norm.

So when you do something that adds drainage to the sealed pit, pressure builds up. That pressure opposes more stuff from coming in.

A septic pit needs a real vent, rather than an AAV.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A sewage ejector gets a 2" vent through the roof. Not an AAV
It's a pumped system.

An AAV in a home is only allowed if there is a vent through the roof for the positive pressures. It's only a negative pressure device. Your sewage ejector doesn't have that unless you make it happen.

index.php

Last edited:

Sourcingman

Reaction score
First off, thanks everyone for your replies. Next question, if I direct vent this pit, and run it out the *side* of my house, will that work? Note that the closest operable window is probably about 18-20ft above it and I have no neighbor.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think 8 ft or 10 above ground I did that once outside on big property I set a 2 inch galvanized in concrete

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
It will "work" to sidewall stub the new vent, but will not be up to any code requirements and will stink so bad.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its possible that it would vent through the vent that serves fixtures being pumped especially if a 4 inch drain was going to the pit chances are that pipe will only be half full or less when pump kicks on.
Let us know how it works , I wouldn't do it . I see that its possible that doing something like that could work only way I'll find out is for you to do it and tell us.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks