Drake 776 tanks crooked

Users who are viewing this thread

ekbrewer

Reaction score
Hello, I am a very capable homeowner/diy'er and recently (based on a lot of great info from this forum) purchased and installed 3 toto drake cst776csfg’s. Two of the three tanks are significantly out of level, even though the bases are level. This is after adjusting per manual just until all 3 points of contact touch. One of the toilets being out of level is a problem aesthetically and I am wondering if I can insert a clear plastic shim at one point of contact. I contacted tech support and they wouldn’t give me any advice other than to return to Lowe's, but the toilets are already installed and the old ones are long gone.

Attachments

• IMG_3437.jpeg
    IMG_3437.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3436.jpeg
    IMG_3436.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3435.jpeg
    IMG_3435.jpeg
    30.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Of course you can try plastic shims, but that foam tank to bowl gasket may or may not expand perfectly. proof will be in your results. Is that Entrada? Bad design what ever model. Overhang tank cover can help a lot of flaws like you experienced.
I'd say return just the tanks to your source. Bring five to save time (kidding)

Reach4

Reaction score
Did you tighten the tank enough to where you almost had 3-point contact, with only a thin business card gap on one point while you press the tank away from that contact point? Bolting a tank tight enough is a big deal.

Maybe start by tightening the high side.

ekbrewer

Reaction score
My process was to put the tank bolts through the bowl and then tighten up each one a few turns at a time until each point of contact made contact (verified by trying to slip in a piece of paper.). I will try to push on one side and push in a business card when I get home, but I had tried pushing on the corners pretty hard and could not see any movement at the points of contact.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks