Cadet 3 Rocks, literally

Users who are viewing this thread

Pennsitor

Reaction score
2 of the 3 American Standard Cadet 3 toilet bases I purchased recently have a protruding horizontal ridge across the bottom that allows the toilet to rock back and forth lengthwise. The one that doesn't rock has the horizontal ridge but it doesn't protrude beyond the rest of the base, so the toilet base can contact the floor normally. I am considering grinding the horizontal ridges down so the toilets contact the floor completely without rocking but am concerned about structural damage and warranty issues. And I shouldn't have to use shims and caulk on a perfectly level floor. Design flaw or bad quality control? Either way, bad form by Am Std!!

Attachments

• IMG_7294.jpg
    IMG_7294.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7293.jpg
    IMG_7293.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 51

Reach4

Reaction score
It is normal to need shims. How much rocking is there?

Dry-fit to determine where the shims go, and position the shims. Lift the toilet. Drop the wax. Drop the toilet.

GReynolds929

Reaction score
American standard has been poor quality for awhile now unfortunately. You couldn't pay me to take one.

BECplumbing

Plumbing Apprentice
Reaction score
2 of the 3 American Standard Cadet 3 toilet bases I purchased recently have a protruding horizontal ridge across the bottom that allows the toilet to rock back and forth lengthwise. The one that doesn't rock has the horizontal ridge but it doesn't protrude beyond the rest of the base, so the toilet base can contact the floor normally. I am considering grinding the horizontal ridges down so the toilets contact the floor completely without rocking but am concerned about structural damage and warranty issues. And I shouldn't have to use shims and caulk on a perfectly level floor. Design flaw or bad quality control? Either way, bad form by Am Std!!
You need to shim the toilet. Insert shims and it won’t rock. It also may not be tight enough

Peterson

Reaction score
I'd take those bowls back. They were made defectively. No toilet bowl should be that unlevel. American Standard unfortunately has had very bad quality control with their toilets that they've produced in the last 15-20 years.

Eman85

Reaction score
I'm not a plumber. It took one AS toilet to convince me they were garbage. I never installed it s the bowl was poor quality. They were very nice and kept sending me bowls, they all arrived broken, and they were all terribly formed and defective before they were broken. I surrendered, I got credit and bought a Mansfield.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks