Drain for Sauna

Users who are viewing this thread

The old college try

Engineering Technician
Reaction score
I'm looking to build a sauna in my basement. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to place a floor drain in it to catch water thrown on heater and for occasionally rinsing it out. I don't have gravity sewer available, so I'm planning to run a 2" floor drain w/trap to the sump about 8 feet away. My washer also runs into the sump and is pumped up into the sanitary line. I busted open the floor near the sump and noticed it is made of clay (house is 80 years old). Can I just drill and bust a hole through the sump for the drain line and grout around the pipe with mortar? Any advice on what I'm looking to do is appreciated.

The old college try

Engineering Technician
Reaction score
Well, I decided to go for it. I drilled about (8) 1/4" holes around the perimeter of the new opening and then I chiseled it out Shawshank Redemption style. Drilling works alot easier if you drill and small pilot hole first. Took about 40 minutes, but it worked out alright. I can't believe how hard and how thick that clay sump is. I have some serious respect for the pipe manufacturer. Now I'm planning on sealing around the pipe opening with silicone to prevent water from eroding the sump at the opening and then I'll try to slap some hydraulic cement around the 2" pvc pipe connection when it's dry. Now I just have to watch and see if the sump fails in the future.:cool:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks