Do powered anode rods work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score

firelikeiya

Reaction score

Thanks. I also believe a longer anode would be better. The reason why I am leaning towards the AO Smith product is because they are a major manufacturer and the fault circuitry that is included with their system that has an audible alarm. The anode still seems fairly short. It's 21" long. From the pictures, it looks like only the bottom 1/3 is the actual titanium anode. I believe my water tank is around 40" high so that would position it in the upper middle range. Looking at AO Smith parts, they do sell different lengths of powered anodes but you can only buy the anode itself that way and not the power supply. The longest they offer is just over 31" long and costs a couple hundred. The kit with the power supply and fault circuitry is around $135. Different online sellers claim it is good up to 50 gallons and AO Smith claims 70 gallons. I know you don't want too much current with these things as that itself will cause hydrogen gas. I'm guessing the short anodes need to run at higher current to protect the entire tank.

Tim Ross

Reaction score
Sorry to necropost. Just bought an AO Smith GDHE-75 to replace an OG GDHE-50. That old one had its problems. But loved it. Noticed the new one has a powered anode rod. Cleanly integrated into the system control, I mention it because in the UI you can pop into the menus and check status of several parameters around the anode/current etc. So you KNOW it’s working. I am curious with a softener how long it will lasT?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks