Do I have a sticky-spot in my DW line

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/opinions-on-enzyme-cleaner.94440/#post-680262

Started this thread
Day 4 of Enzyme Cleaner. Confirmed same as day 3. Faucet on constant on, and even after letting it run 45 seconds to 1 minute +, water just keeps on draining. Whereas previously, it would slowly backup after about 30 seconds.

Which got me thinking on root cause
I had this problem 5 months ago and I ended up snaking it.
What came out was just a -buildup- on the tip of the snake
5 Months later, it has started to show a slow backup.

I used a 1/4 " snake.
Does this mean I need to use a 3/8 or 1/2 to snake and scour the pipe sidewalls, presuming I got something there that is causing water -debris- to slowly catch and build up ?

I got a jetter I use on the downspouts - but that sounds messy for inside work...

1st -constant clog- I can ever recall in my lifetime

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
All drains occasionally clog. If the clogs are constantly reoccurring then you have a problem, if not then that's just life. I do this for a living.

Last edited:

Chefwong

Reaction score
Heh James. At 1st I attributed to more -@ home- drainage, but we've done same or less cooking during those times. Always entertained prior to march 202, friends and fam, so I didn't think it was due to more potential grease getting put into the drains. And the only grease would be from the hood grates, which is just the -atomized- particulates. Just threw me for a curveball that the slow blockage did creep back 5 months later.

I guess next steps are to run a large cable to scour it and then observe from there. The intial clog was not too far off the sink . About 12-15 feet
Kinda looking at this second time slow back as reoccuring at this point, as I've never had any inside drain issues.

Downspouts and stuff - the jetter has been amazing and makes it quick work

Chefwong

Reaction score
Bought me a -cheap overseas- sewer cam. Well, cheap in that it's not a 3K seesnake but will pay for itself on its 1st use...
No clue what is causing this clog. Again, slow running observance. I snake it again and all is well with the world but something is causing this

I snaked it 7-8 months ago and I'm now on day 3 of enzyme treatment. Enzyme primarily to get rid of the bi0-film that built up on the sidewalls due to the slow clog for the initial and whatever has cause it again 7 months later. I snaked it with a 5/16 line. Snaking is a messy job but I'm thinking I should break out the 3/8 to -scour- the ID of the pipe clean ...

- Ha. Messy in the noob approach . After the 1st time using it, i know to hold a -rag- to clean the grime off the snake while slowly run it into reverse. I was using the wrong type of rag the last time - it kept on catching on the drain cable I was runing it into reverse. +++ is that this time around, much less bio-film on the snake as well.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
you got a tip on the end or just a cable? 1/4 inch a bit small but 3/8 sould be plenty adequate. a chain knocker is liked by many . I would use jetter in my house but not setting it up at customers im not a drain cleaner regularly . Those kitchen lines get pretty slugged up you might just be poking a hole through it

Chefwong

Reaction score
I hear ya Jeff on unknown variable when doing anything drain related when you don't have a known history of what can be in there....

Slightly perplexed on this drain line. It's new pipe. Wild guess 10-12 years old.
The only thing I'm coming with is maybe washing my kitchen hood grates in the dishwasher, it dumps out the wash water 1 1/2 gallons at most, then the rinse cycle at another 1 1/2 gallons and I'm thinking as a wild guess, that the oily water is just settling right off the tailpiece. Wild guess is the keyword. I've very keen on what goes into the drain...

Ive got like 4 tips for the 3/8. boring, retriever, arrow and cutter.....I've very tempted to jetting it but pulling the line back while wiping inside a cabinet is not something I want to consider. Both the smaller snake and larger retract back into enclosed drums, although the most recent snake - the line pulled back clean for the most part - just bio-film on it. Working in enclosed cabinet, I think the snake is just a cleaner approach
-------

I totally missed the initial diagnosis 8 months ago. I thought it was a plugged vent. So here I am, macgyvering up the roof, running a jetter down the vent thinking the vent had a clog. No change. After all that hard work getting up the roof and jetter and all, it was a clog about 10-14 feet off the sink line. Now, I start with the basics and check indoors before outdoors ;-/

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks