Do all Kinetico tanks contain gravel?

Users who are viewing this thread

NavySuit

Reaction score
I've been watching some videos on doing resin changes. It seems like they just dump out the resin, but I don't see any gravel coming out. Do all tanks contain gravel at the bottom? Should it be replaced during a resin change?

Reach4

Reaction score
. Do all tanks contain gravel at the bottom?
No. While they should, many sellers skip it to save the 15 pounds of shipping. I wouldn't think Kinetico would skip the gravel.

Should it be replaced during a resin change?
If you have gravel and could re-claim the old gravel, no need for new.

Why are you changing resin? City water chlorination degrades resin, so I suspect that.

Last edited:

NavySuit

Reaction score
No. While they should, many sellers skip it to save the 15 pounds of shipping.

If you have gravel and could re-claim the old gravel, no need for new.

Why are you changing resin? City water chlorination degrades resin, so I suspect that.

The last couple of techs have just suggested it. They do not seem to experienced. They, basically, say it is old and needs to be rebuilt or replaced. It is around a 20 year old kinetico.

The guy that came out yesterday and couldn't diagnose it. He was just saying the head would need to be rebuilt or a new system. A tech from a couple of years ago suggested a resin change, so he was saying that was probably needed. I think he didn't really know what he was doing.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Since 'K' brand softeners typically utilize small resin tanks, I anticipate they will not be normally equipped with any gravel as gravel will displace resin and will therefore reduce the quantity of resin contained in each tank.

Are you experiencing excessive hardness before the system switches over to the alternate tank? Is there a noticeable flow restriction when water flow is through the softener that becomes less when the softener is bypassed? Is your water source a private well, or is it a municipal supply that will be chlorinated?

While that brand utilizes innovative methods and good quality equipment, they are seldom recommended on this forum, mainly due to reliance on their closed dealer network to obtain parts and service. Their turbine driven valves are also complex and so repairs or rebuilding is usually not a straightforward DIY project for an average system owner.

NavySuit

Reaction score
Since 'K' brand softeners typically utilize small resin tanks, I anticipate they will not be normally equipped with any gravel as gravel will displace resin and will therefore reduce the quantity of resin contained in each tank.

Are you experiencing excessive hardness before the system switches over to the alternate tank? Is there a noticeable flow restriction when water flow is through the softener that becomes less when the softener is bypassed? Is your water source a private well, or is it a municipal supply that will be chlorinated?

While that brand utilizes innovative methods and good quality equipment, they are seldom recommended on this forum, mainly due to reliance on their closed dealer network to obtain parts and service. Their turbine driven valves are also complex and so repairs or rebuilding is usually not a straightforward DIY project for an average system owner.

I've noticed the water doesn't have suds like it used to. Also, I've noticed more iron. I haven't noticed any restrictions in water volume. I'm on well water. The kinetico reps seem to be very inexperienced that they send out. The last guy basically said he doesn't want to guess what is wrong with it, so he is recommending a rebuild or new system. It seems like they always recommend a resin change. They are the only Kinetico dealer I can find.

Which water softeners are normally recommended? Are there any recommendations on non electric units?

NavySuit

Reaction score
Does anyone know the amount of resin needed for my tanks? I have two 8x40 tanks. Does each tank contain 3/4 cuft of resin?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Which water softeners are normally recommended?
The brands of control valves most recommended on this forum are either Fleck or Clack. Fleck and Clack do not build or market softeners as that is performed by their dealers utilizing various off the shelf components.

While various dealers only sell online, the usual recommendation is to buy from a local dealer who will utilize quality components and will stand behind and service the products they sell.

Are there any recommendations on non electric units?
No. Why is that a concern?

A time clock based controller and motorized drive allow for customization through configuration and programming. A simplified and easy to understand drive system provides reliability, longevity, and a system that is often repairable by the owner when something does eventually require service.

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
I've noticed the water doesn't have suds like it used to. Also, I've noticed more iron. I haven't noticed any restrictions in water volume. I'm on well water. The kinetico reps seem to be very inexperienced that they send out. The last guy basically said he doesn't want to guess what is wrong with it, so he is recommending a rebuild or new system. It seems like they always recommend a resin change. They are the only Kinetico dealer I can find.

Which water softeners are normally recommended? Are there any recommendations on non electric units?

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
I moved into a house with a 14 year old Kinetico 2060S 2006 Date code. Luckily it was housed inside a utility building shielded from the elements. The water was not getting soft no mater how many backwashes I did and I was ready to replace the resin. Since I don't have Iron in my well water I never needed the IRON out so I assumed the resin was not fouled but just spent.
I WAS WRONG. I decided to try one last thing and had nothing to lose. Ordered a gallon of ResCare Softener Cleaner off Amazon. Its an acid based cleaner. They say to put a 1/2 cup (4oz) into the water and do a backwash. Well I added a bit more than a 1/2 cup more like 6oz and did this 3 or 4 times per tank (My Kinetico has 2 tanks)
The water got so soft my hands were slippery again. I then ordered the smaller bottle with a feeding wick to keep a constant drip going. That $12 bottle just saved me the $400 plus they wanted to rebed my tanks.

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
I moved into a house with a 14 year old Kinetico 2060S 2006 Date code. Luckily it was housed inside a utility building shielded from the elements. The water was not getting soft no mater how many backwashes I did and I was ready to replace the resin. Since I don't have Iron in my well water I never needed the IRON out so I assumed the resin was not fouled but just spent.
I WAS WRONG. I decided to try one last thing and had nothing to lose. Ordered a gallon of ResCare Softener Cleaner off Amazon. Its an acid based cleaner. They say to put a 1/2 cup (4oz) into the water and do a backwash. Well I added a bit more than a 1/2 cup more like 6oz and did this 3 or 4 times per tank (My Kinetico has 2 tanks)
The water got so soft my hands were slippery again. I then ordered the smaller bottle with a feeding wick to keep a constant drip going. That $12 bottle just saved me the $400 plus they wanted to rebed my tanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks