Disinfected Well - Water not clearing up

Users who are viewing this thread

jbob1981

Reaction score
We are selling our house and the realtor recommended that we disinfect the well prior to any showings and inspections. Last Monday (9/21) we pour 1 1/2 gallons of bleach down the well and ran the water afterward until we smelled the bleach. Let the system sit overnight and then began the flushing process the next day.

While flushing the water turned very reddish brown and had some sediment in it. The water has been slowly clearing since then, but seems to have stalled and still has a very slight cloudiness to it. There is not any sediment in anymore. I have been flushing it for a few hours a day and it won't clear up completely. Usually when I first start to flush the water, it is almost clear and then begins to cloud up slightly the longer I flush it.

The well is about 150' deep and we have never had any issues in the past. Any tips on how to clear the water up? Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
The water has been slowly clearing since then, but seems to have stalled and still has a very slight cloudiness to it.
When you put that cloudy water in a glass, and let it sit disturbed overnight, what happens? If it clears up, does it clear at the top first or the bottom first.

If it clears at the bottom first, that would be gas bubbles. If it clears at the top, that would be sediment.

Why stop after a few hours? Did the well run out of water?

jbob1981

Reaction score
When I let the water sit overnight, it really doesn't change much. It still has just a little bit a cloudiness to it the next day. We are not currently living in the house so that is why I can't just let it run for hours on end.

Is it a possibility that I still have not gotten all of the bleach out of the well and it causing the cloudiness? I can't smell bleach, but when I test the water with a pool testing strip it does small a very small amount of bleach on the test strip. I can't imagine that there is still bleach in the well, the water has probably been run for over 24 hours total combined since last Monday.

jbob1981

Reaction score
One other note...When I pull water from the kitchen tap, which has a under-sink filter on it, the water is perfectly clear.

Reach4

Reaction score
When I let the water sit overnight, it really doesn't change much. It still has just a little bit a cloudiness to it the next day.
If you go out there again, put the cloudy water in a clean glass jar, and take it home. See whether top or bottom clears first.

If you are near Erie, you probably have a pitless adapter. If you are in Asia, who knows? :rolleyes: Anyway, I would consider recirculating via a cartridge filter back into the top of the casing. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my sanitizing write-up. I am wondering if you have a store of sediment above the pump, and it is taking a while to clear.

jbob1981

Reaction score
The well does have a pitless adapter. I am closer to Erie than Asia!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks