Delta 800 Deltique Plumbing fixtures

Users who are viewing this thread

tracy callihan

Reaction score
I am trying to replace all of these plumbing fixtures from the 80’s. I think these are Kohler. I only found the name on the overflow valve. I have a couple of questions... 1) is there an updated faucet handle I can put in replace of the old one or do you think the valve has to be replaced as well? I ask because it has a pin to push to turn the shower on. I don’t know how to find a fixture that is compatible. 2) the shower arm is stuck. I’ve tried a screwdriver for increased torque, wd 40 and a wrench. I can’t get it! Any ideas? 3) same with the faucet. I’ve tried unscrewing it and looking for a recessed screw. I’m attaching a picture of the underside.

delta-deltique.jpg

39B94132-AB57-46EE-ADDF-A7E2504980CD.jpeg

Attachments

• 4C3D631E-85DC-4746-850D-62265D81B627.jpeg
    4C3D631E-85DC-4746-850D-62265D81B627.jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 320
  • C6EF3255-2F3A-4B6E-A100-B5A4D860BB83.jpeg
    C6EF3255-2F3A-4B6E-A100-B5A4D860BB83.jpeg
    29 KB · Views: 253
  • 2CD05A50-D33A-49FB-8556-807F3B760E90.jpeg
    2CD05A50-D33A-49FB-8556-807F3B760E90.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 246
  • 92C17822-32ED-4A38-8628-2EDC44BEEFB1.jpeg
    92C17822-32ED-4A38-8628-2EDC44BEEFB1.jpeg
    30.1 KB · Views: 262
  • BDF716F6-2EEC-4196-8199-4012B1CAF2A1.jpeg
    BDF716F6-2EEC-4196-8199-4012B1CAF2A1.jpeg
    34.1 KB · Views: 247
Last edited by a moderator:

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your valve is a Deltique by Delta 800 series. This trim can be changed with Delta 1600 series Scald guard. Rebuild with trim # 1604KIT. This does not accept your push button diverter. You can use RP2865 diverter plug and install a diverter spout. For the shower arm use 2 pipe wrenches opposing each other like a tee. This will allow the shower arm equal pressure on both sides and it will screw out.

tracy callihan

Reaction score
Your valve is a Deltique by Delta 800 series. This trim can be changed with Delta 1600 series Scald guard. Rebuild with trim # 1604KIT. This does not accept your push button diverter. You can use RP2865 diverter plug and install a diverter spout. For the shower arm use 2 pipe wrenches opposing each other like a tee. This will allow the shower arm equal pressure on both sides and it will screw out.

Thank you! I’m trying to decipher everything you’re saying. So I can plug up the pushpin diverter and put in a new diverter?

are you recommending I replace the current valve also? Does any of this entail cutting pipes or sweating them?

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
All of this happens from the tub side of the wall without removing the original valve or cutting pipes. This plug will screw into the valve body once you remove the original push diverter. The diverter will need to be on the tub spout. The original spout has a 1/2" threaded connection at the back of the spout. This is the type you will need for a replacement. at this part you can completely rebuild and re-trim your valve with the 1604 kit. If you want trim only these are the numbers you will need.
Escutcheon RP7577
Handle H79 for chrome
Handle H71 acrylic
RP6081 sleeve
Escutcheon screws RP196
All of these numbers are Delta factory numbers. Aftermarket parts are available as well

delta-plug.jpg

delta-tub-spout-marlin.jpg

Piper&Berkeley

Reaction score
I have a new set of waste and overflow new faucet and new shower valve with trim new and ready to sell these priceless gems.
$1000.00 for all

16115127901446138939907015658157.jpg
16115128609324057363560560273092.jpg
16115129119194321187549396199750.jpg

Ben Sander

Reaction score
I have this valve new-old-stock which I’m trying to have installed in a bathroom renovation. The installers tell me that a couple of parts are bad on it. I’ve easily found the cartridge, but the other part is discontinued. It’s the volume stem assembly, which as I understand it is the diverter. It’s the stem that attaches to the knob that is below the main turn-on knob (you can see it in the example of the new old stock ones that were offered for sale above). So is there a way to make that part work if it’s not working now? (Were those plastic or metal?) If not, is there a contemporary valve that I could use the trim from this set on?

Last edited:

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
The Deltique series had optional push diverter (Shown above)or twist volume control (Shown below). The push diverter is still available in chrome # RP5649. The chrome can be sprayed with Oil Rubbed Bronze metallic paint to blend. The twist as shown below are discontinued but some old stock may be around.If you can measure the size opening in the valve I can give you more information.

IMG_Deltique 800.jpg

Ben Sander

Reaction score
The Deltique series had optional push diverter (Shown above)or twist volume control (Shown below). The push diverter is still available in chrome # RP5649. The chrome can be sprayed with Oil Rubbed Bronze metallic paint to blend. The twist as shown below are discontinued but some old stock may be around.If you can measure the size opening in the valve I can give you more information.
View attachment 79401
That’s very helpful, thank you. It’s a twist volume control. The diagram sheet I have shows the part number as 4059. I will go take a look at the part this evening when I get home. Part of the problem is I don’t have a lot of faith in the plumber working on the install. He forgot to knock out the block in the connector between the dishwasher and garbage disposal and hooked up my ice maker wrong so it leaked all over the floor (and the apartment below). He’s the one who says that volume stem assembly isn’t working correctly, but that seems odd to me because the set is new old stock. I can understand the seals in the cartridge having dried up and causing leaking, but this part seems like it should be less subject to degrading over time. Is that a likely assumption?

IMG_Deltique-800-2.jpg

https://www.deltafaucet.com/parts/product/RP6276.html

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
It would be unexplainable in my opinion a new old stock valve would be defective from this era of manufacturing. I just looked at a RP4059 and the only thing that could be a problem is the threaded bonnet o-ring and the stem o-ring that seals inside the bonnet. Does your installer realize this part only restricts the volume of water when the valve is in operation? The volume controls of today controls volume and on/off features.

Ben Sander

Reaction score
It would be unexplainable in my opinion a new old stock valve would be defective from this era of manufacturing. I just looked at a RP4059 and the only thing that could be a problem is the threaded bonnet o-ring and the stem o-ring that seals inside the bonnet. Does your installer realize this part only restricts the volume of water when the valve is in operation? The volume controls of today controls volume and on/off features.

So is this not a diverter then? How does this feature function with the tub filler/shower switching then? What would be it’s intended job in restricting volume if it doesn’t switch between the two outlets?

deltique-tub-spout-2.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's confusing to me too.
The tub spout is shown with a diverter.
The "volume control" is on the down port to the tub spout. With other valves, that would be used to divert, like that pull up thing on the tub spout, to divert water upward to the shower head.
I wonder who wrote the description decades ago, and whether it was correct.

I can't pull up a replacement part that is gettable. Once you install it, you're on your own.

Last edited:

Ben Sander

Reaction score
From thinking about it I believe the volume control manages the flow from weak to strong and the valve is only supposed to be used for one application or to be diverted with the tub filler diverter. I’m used to volume control being managed through the main handle on these sorts of valves - how far it’s pulled out determines how much water is run through the valve. Maybe this is done with the volume control switch instead. Does that sound right @Marlinman?

I was able to find a tub filler from that series with a diverter in it, I think I’ll be able to use it for the system and that should work for my purposes.

Ben Sander

Reaction score
So the installer says that the valve is leaking from the volume stem, so I’m going to have to find some sort of fix or alternative…

Could the volume stem be replaced with the RP2865 diverter plug you mention above? Would that make it so the water was either on or off with no control for volume? Would that be a bad thing for a shower/tub filler?

Could I replace the volume stem with the RP5649 push button diverter?

Is there a new Delta valve that I could use the old trim on?

Are there any other options that I’m not aware of?

I will go and measure the hole where the volume stem is tonight and let you know the size this evening if that will help you…

Thanks!

Last edited:

Ben Sander

Reaction score
So the installer says that the valve is leaking from the volume stem, so I’m going to have to find some sort of fix or alternative…

Could the volume stem be replaced with the RP2865 diverter plug you mention above? Would that make it so the water was either on or off with no control for volume? Would that be a bad thing for a shower/tub filler?

Could I replace the volume stem with the RP5649 push button diverter?

Is there a new Delta valve that I could use the old trim on?

Are there any other options that I’m not aware of?

I will go and measure the hole where the volume stem is tonight and let you know the size this evening if that will help you…

Thanks!

This is the valve that is not functioning properly…

AE44BB25-0B65-4AB4-A95E-CED518319499.jpeg
DB6D477B-0748-4001-BC25-40447134A1F4.jpeg

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
The volume control and diverter are different sizes so the diverter plug is too big. Since the diverter leaking is the primary problem I checked the
o-ring sizes for replacement since these seals were never published by Delta. The stem o-ring is a #4 and the bonnet o-ring is a #7. Be certain to use
silicone grease for these.

IMG_8580.jpg

It's confusing to me too.
The tub spout is shown with a diverter.
The "volume control" is on the down port to the tub spout. With other valves, that would be used to divert, like that pull up thing on the tub spout, to divert water upward to the shower head.
I wonder who wrote the description decades ago, and whether it was correct.

I can't pull up a replacement part that is gettable. Once you install it, you're on your own.

IMG_8581.jpg

The volume control was to be used after the diverter stem was lifted and in the shower mode. Sort of like homeowners installing a volume control before the shower head to save water while soaping or hair washing.

Ben Sander

Reaction score
The volume control and diverter are different sizes so the diverter plug is too big. Since the diverter leaking is the primary problem I checked the
o-ring sizes for replacement since these seals were never published by Delta. The stem o-ring is a #4 and the bonnet o-ring is a #7. Be certain to use silicone grease for these.

Great! So where do I find these?

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
The o-rings should be available at most hardware or plumbing shops. If they do not use the number system(#3,#7) you can match using the sizes showing id,od.wall dimensions.

Ben Sander

Reaction score
The o-rings should be available at most hardware or plumbing shops. If they do not use the number system(#3,#7) you can match using the sizes showing id,od.wall dimensions.

So in the chart you attached to your above response, the first column is the part number for Delta (1304 and 1307 are the parts) and the second column is the inner diameter and the third column is the outer diameter and the last column is the wall?

Ben Sander

Reaction score
So in the chart you attached to your above response, the first column is the part number for Delta (1304 and 1307 are the parts) and the second column is the inner diameter and the third column is the outer diameter and the last column is the wall?

Or maybe that’s od, id, wall?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks