Dehumidifier drain

Users who are viewing this thread

ibisboy1

Reaction score
I have a crawl space that I want to dehumidify. I have found a unit, but, not clear on how to drain.

The crawl sits adjacent to my basement (it is under an addition). My thought was to set the unit up in the middle of the space and the run a pitched line to an outside wall and drain that way. However, I am in illinois and it gets cold here. I don’t expect the unit to run much in the winter but I do have some concern that the line will freeze up.

As a note, draining to a drain/sump in the home is not possible. The basement is finished and I am not willing to open ip the ceiling to do the install.

Any thoughts about draining to the exterior? Any thoughts about how far from the foundation I would need to go? Had thought of perhaps draining into a small gravel pit, but not sure that would be needed.

Couple of other things worth mentioning. The crawl walls have been insulated with spray foam. The vents are sealed with spray foam. The floor has a vapor barrier down that was done as part of a radon remediation. So, it’s fairly well sealed.

Humidity can get as high as 70% on the most humid days of the year.

Thanks for any help.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Southern Missouri dehumidifier in crawl space. Don't really need a dehumidifier under about 40° outside temp. Have a remote thermometer/ rh in crawl temp gets down to 54° when it's 0° and rh 40%. Have a outside temp control that shuts off dehumidifier at 40°

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think i would pump it to a drain. Not many condensate drains run to daylight here in the Midwest. You could do it, but the dehumidifier would need to be shut off before November.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks