Dead mice in brine tank...

Users who are viewing this thread

ChrisMSP

Reaction score
Moved into a new rental house last year, having soft water issues. The brine tank was completely full of rock salt, and it was fully compacted about 1/2 way down, so there was no salt in the bottom 1/2 of the brine tank.

I got my way through removing the salt, and there were two dead mice at the bottom of the brine tank. There was a mousetrap on top of the water softener, and as near as I can figure the previous renters caught mice, put them in the water softener tank, and then filled the tank with rock salt.

Nice, huh?

Anything to worry about? Other than the gross-out factor... I am cleaning the brine tank and resin tank now, hoping to get everything up an running in the next day or two.

MaxBlack

Reaction score
My tank has a hole the tubing goes thru which of course leads directly into the brine below. If yours does as well, you will certainly want to tape it up or otherwise seal it e.g. with plumbers' putty, because mice need VERY VERY LITTLE in the way of a crack to get into anything.

Although we never drank the water there, when we lived in TX and had a rainwater collection system a squirrel managed to get into one of the water tanks and died there. It happens. When you clean the brine tank out use some chlorine also to kill any germs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks