Corosion Crud at Fitting Connection (Water Heater)

Users who are viewing this thread

Geobrick

Reaction score
<misspelling in title: "Corrosion">
A local plumber did some rework on the plumbing from a water heater (part of the hot water circulation system) because there was a pin hole leak in one of the copper elbows. A few months later I noticed some corrosion where a T fitting and adopter come together. To me it's a sign of a slow leak at the fitting.

For the pros out there, is this a problem with the original work where you'd expect s call back or is this unrelated to the original work.

In either case, I suspect it wont be long before it becomes a bigger problem and should be fixed soon.

Let me know what you think.

geobrick-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I were going to form an opinion from just the photo, I would say the weird looking corrosion was there before the work done a month ago. The fittings on the right appear to be the newer work. I would scrape it off and set a cup with a paper towel over the top of it under the tee and see if anything drips from it. If it does, then fix it. If it doesn't leave it there and watch the towel collect dust.

Geobrick

Reaction score
If I were going to form an opinion from just the photo, I would say the weird looking corrosion was there before the work done a month ago. The fittings on the right appear to be the newer work. I would scrape it off and set a cup with a paper towel over the top of it under the tee and see if anything drips from it. If it does, then fix it. If it doesn't leave it there and watch the towel collect dust.
It's very possible it was there before the work was done. Maybe I can find a picture that was taken when I had the pin-hole leak. It seems to me that MIP to Sweat adapter is new also.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks