Cap Washing Machine Stub Out?

Users who are viewing this thread

diyboy

Reaction score
IMG_3382.jpg

IMG_3083.jpg

In our house the washer and dryer were in the kitchen. We never liked it in the kitchen and there are hookups + a slop sink in the basement so I moved the machines in the basement. She wants the space converted into a pantry.

The water and gas lines are already turned off - was going to cap the water lines with Sharkbite and the gas line I was going to get a plug for it.
Not sure how to cap this ptrap and stub out for the washing machine drain. Its copper. We obviously dont want to leave the ptrap because I want to put up shelves.

Do I just cut off the ptrap and than cap the stub out?

Or should I use a torch to remove it?

Or should I open up the wall and remove the stub out entirely?

The pipe appears to be different diameters as its a mix of regular pipe and cast.

Any advice is appreciated.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Depends on you . the best would be clean it all up , assuming there will never be a use for any of what we see. its also more work. Id pull the gas pipe too and cap it below floor.
Some , many or most people would cut off excess and cap drain where convieniant put a flare cap on the gas valve and call it good , cap off dryer vent too I suppose . no big deal here decision is yours

diyboy

Reaction score
Depends on you . the best would be clean it all up , assuming there will never be a use for any of what we see. its also more work. Id pull the gas pipe too and cap it below floor.
Some , many or most people would cut off excess and cap drain where convieniant put a flare cap on the gas valve and call it good , cap off dryer vent too I suppose . no big deal here decision is yours
I get you.

For the water, I was going to cap it in the basement just beyond the turn off valves. Entire remove the pipe and valves you see. For the gas, I assume I would just turn off the main in the house and than unthread the pipe and than cap it below the floor eliminating the valve entirely? Yeah I was going to cap off the dryer vent too...

We will never be putting the washer/dryer back up in the kitchen. For that drain pipe - this stub out is attached to a pipe going to the second floor. I would have to open the wall and than cut the stub-out out. Not sure I want to do that which is why I was asking about cutting off the p-trap and capping it.

Reach4

Reaction score
1. The trend is to put the washer+dryer on a higher floor, closer to bedrooms. But your plan is your plan.
2. I guess you would not be putting a water softener in there-- a thing that could also use a standpipe. Those are still more popular in the basement.

diyboy

Reaction score
1. The trend is to put the washer+dryer on a higher floor, closer to bedrooms. But your plan is your plan.
2. I guess you would not be putting a water softener in there-- a thing that could also use a standpipe. Those are still more popular in the basement.

Yes, I know its the trend but I have seen bad stuff happen with washers/dryer on the second floor.

On my first house when it was for sale, someone who was viewing the house leaned on the toilet tank cracking it. The tank was leaking and because it never filled the valve never shut off. It flooded the entire second floor going into the first floor and collapsing the ceiling. Caused about 25K in damage.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I guess Id try unscrewing the whole shebang ptrap and all or at least get it part way loose before cutting more off. then just screw a plug in if its oriented the right way in the wall or cut out the rock no big deal

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
A regular fernco cap will fit into a copper hub. So anywhere you can cut the pipe but leave the hub would work for a fernco cap. Problem is a can't see a hub near the wall. You might have to cut out some wall to get to a joint that can be cut.

I think I'd unscrew it from the cast inlet.

Not sure what a cracked toilet has to do with a washer dryer, but your house is definitely more valuable with a washer dryer near where dirty clothes are taken off. People nowadays want everything on one floor if possible.

Last edited:

diyboy

Reaction score
A regular fernco cap will fit into a copper hub. So anywhere you can cut the pipe but leave the hub would work for a fernco cap. Problem is a can't see a hub near the wall. You might have to cut out some wall to get to a joint that can be cut.

I think I'd unscrew it from the cast inlet.

Not sure what a cracked toilet has to do with a washer dryer, but your house is definitely more valuable with a washer dryer near where dirty clothes are taken off. People nowadays want everything on one floor if possible.

Thanks for the reply and appreciate the idea on the Fernco cap.

You are right about the cracked toilet isnt relevant ;) - I was just prattling as I am paranoid about water damage. I have seen damage from water lines on washing machines. I dont have room for a washer/dryer on the second floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks