Copper dishwasher supply line?

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYorBust

Reaction score
I need to replace a copper supply line for a dishwasher, the supply stop valve is 3/8th compression. However I noticed when I went to order the soft copper tubing, the 3/8th inch OD is labeled for refrigeration, utility, or oil. Are these suitable for use in a dishwasher application, or is there another type of tubing I should order?

I'll mention that I am aware we could use a braided supply hose, but we have decided to stick with the copper supply.

Thanks!

DIY

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Thanks Mr. Young. That seemed like it made sense, although another thread suggested that they were thinner walled than type M or L copper used for underground supplies. I guess it's good enough for a dishwasher supply.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Actually following up, I see terry said the following in 2019:

We used to hook up dishwashers with soft copper. At first I was using 1/2" OD and then later switched to 3/8" OD soft L copper.
You can really only bend copper one time without kinking it. You may get a little bend but don't count on much. Cutting back and using a new sleeve works most of the time.

It sounds like that may be 1/4" ID type L soft copper? I just checked the specs, and that would seem to have a 3/8" OD. I think the difference is that the wall would be thicker, but it would not fill the dishwasher as fast. Unfortunately, we can no longer benefit from Terry's live advice, but did I understand correctly what he was saying?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont know what you are asking ? 3/8 od refer tube or acr , would be equal to 1/4 inch type L Ive seen 1/2 inch od used on dishwashers as well but never used it , I used to see it (1/2 inch od) installed on older installations but they were allolder than mid 80s .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks