Connect 1 1/2 copper pipe to new P-trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

HudsonRiverGuy

Reaction score
Hi I'm remodeling a bathroom at a house I just bought, built in 1941. Wife wants a vanity with a drawer, so I need to raise the P Trap about 6 inches. I cut the 1 1/2" diameter copper pipe coming out of the wall thinking I could put a p trap kit compression fitting over it. Nope, the plastic ring is too small. I imagine I need some sort of reducer fitting. Can anyone advise on what I need to make this connection?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The venting comes off the top of the trap arm, or the trap will siphon dry and allow sewer gas in the home.

1941 may have 1-1/4" copper for a bathroom lav, or 1-3/8" OD
Since you have a new vanity going in with a drawer, now is the time to cut the wall and raise the pipe in the wall if in fact it's vertical.
If it's horizontal, then raising it is out of the question, but you can raise a tee in the cabinet and add and AAV (Auto Air Vent)

p-trap-too-low-aav.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Take note of picture its a good fix. But you asked how to connect to 1 1/2 copper (1 5/8" od) go to plumbing supply and get a no hub or mission band for inch and half copper to plastic band. Then do it like the picture

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep good chance 1 1/4 copper . Im thinking you need to take what you cut off and match it up in your plumbing supply house of choice.

HudsonRiverGuy

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your advice. I took a couple pics to give some better perspective. I do indeed have the piece I cut off. Wife is rather disgusted I continue to walk around with it. As noted in the pic, it appears the OD of the pipe is 1 5/8". Lowes did not have fittings this size but they did have the no bub/mission band connectors, which sounds like a good route to take.

This house has a couple weird things going in the way it was constructed, or more likely remodeled, that make me shake my head. Directly behind this bathroom sink is the kitchen sink, so maybe the plumber just continued to use the 1 1/2 pipe that was used in the kitchen sink plumbing.

I do greatly appreciate the advice!

Attachments

• Vanity pipe pic 1.jpg
    Vanity pipe pic 1.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 298
  • Pipe Diameter close up pic.jpg
    Pipe Diameter close up pic.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 310

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Below is a santee in the wall that I raised using Mission couplings. They make a copper to plastic coupling with a metal wrap to prevent the pipes from shifting.

sink_taylor_2.jpg

mission_bandseal.jpg

lav-rust-7.jpg

trap_adapter_both.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you keep the in-wall piping copper, then you'd solder one of these onto the pipe, then use tubular pipe to it.
solder trap adapter.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
If you keep the in-wall piping copper, then you'd solder one of these onto the pipe, then use tubular pipe to it.
I think it would be easier and safer for most less-experience people to avoid soldering big copper stuff that close to a wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks