P-Trap Help Please

Users who are viewing this thread

gkid650

Reaction score
I need your help/opinion please. My wife and I are remodeling our master bath and bedroom. I don't think the contractor measured correctly for the placement of the plumbing coming out of the wall that hooks up to our vanity sinks. The plumbing seems too low and the p-trap won't fit correctly. The vanity bottom shelf is only about an inch below the plumbing not leaving enough room for the bottom of the p-trap - please see attached pic. I think the contractor needs to open the wall and raise the plumbing. But he says not to worry he can make it work. Of course he's going to say that because he doesn't want to have to do the extra work. Is there a way for the p-trap to be properly installed without needing to open the wall and raise the plumbing? We don't want something that looks like an amateur did it, is against code, will take up all of our shelf space, or is going to give us problems in the future. We also don't want him to cut into the shelf to make room for the bottom of the p-trap. Below the shelf is a drawer.

Attachments

• p-trap.jpg
    p-trap.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 91

Reach4

Reaction score
No, to your question, if you want to use that lavatory cabinet.

An AAV could have worked, if it were allowed in your area. Plus that might have looked relatively amateurish to some.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I've seen the shelf cut to make it work. Then a box is framed around it so stuff doesn't fall in the big hole. So classy !!!
The only way is to open the wall. Your "contractor" needs to open up the wall because he made a big mistake or didn't have the specs. properly communicated.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
We see these types of cabinets a lot. Usually when this happens its because someone supplies a cabinet without providing enough details to the plumber to accommodate the installation. On all of our contracts and all of our projects it is spelled out and explained that the layout of every wall and cabinet is up to the contractor prior to us showing up on site.

That being said, the only way for them to "make it work" legally without opening the wall is what Reach4 suggests. They can 90 up, install a san tee, connect the trap to the branch, then continue up at least 4" for an AAV/studor vent if they are allowed by your local jurisdiction.

Even a bottle trap requires 2-1/2" clearance from center to the bottom to fit.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes this is probably your mistake and not the plumbers mistake. A lavatory will get roughed in anywhere between 18 and 22 inches high depending on what information the plumber has to work with at the time. If the plumber has no info it's going to get installed lower because lower will work more universally. As the lower the outlet the deeper type of sink will drain.

Most people who decide to do a project think this stuff can be picked out later and it can, but if the plumbing is already installed then you would have to pick it a vanity according to the plumbing. If you already had the vanity at the beginning of the project and showed it (or a dimensional drawing of it) to the plumber then this would be his mistake.

gkid650

Reaction score
Thank you for your responses. The vanity was here at the beginning of the project. The contractor did not measure.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its not obvious to me one way or the other . is this a bathroom added with all new plumbing and the vanity was there all along? Or was there a sink there before and the wall was never open ? What specificaly was discused with contactor?
Weve all had this situation someone puts some oddball cabinet in with no rough in specs , and of cource most plumbers during the cource of lifetime have screwed up something but that dosent mean thats what happened here could have been someone elses fault

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks