City Boy needs help with Pressure tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Cruzy

Reaction score
My lights flicker, the water surges at the faucets. Is my tank water logged. I have a Myers galvanized tank that must be 100 years old. I don't think it has a bladder or air wafer. The only air inlet is a the check valve before the stop valve. any advice on how to recharge it?

Also can anyone recommend a good tank manufacturer? Is Wellxtron professional series a good choice?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
From what I understand, shut off the pump, then drain the tank. Close things up, and turn the pump back on. IT should trap some air above the water, creating the pressure. You can also use an air compressor to pump air into the system, the details on how to do that was posted recently...if you do a search, you should find it.

Speedbump

Reaction score
If your wanting to change to a bladder tank Well X Trol is top of the line. So is Flexcon.

You mentioned a schrader valve by a stop valve (a check valve maybe?). This could be part of an air making system. If so, the valve or hole in the droppipe down in the well may have plugged up, letting the tank waterlog. If you go with a bladder tank and that hole opens up again for some reason you may have more air in your lines than you care to have.

bob...

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
To put air in a non-bladder tank, for maximum available drawdown (Maximum is good):

1. Figure out what pressure switch settings you want; Example: On at 20, off at 40.

2. EMPTY the tank and then pressurize with air to about 10 psi below the ON pressure setting. In this case, pressurize to 10 psi with the same pressure gauge that you are using to set the switch. NOTE: If your gauge is missing or stuck, replace it. You are flying blind without a gauge.

3. Disconnect your air connection (Hope you have a Schrader valve). DO NOT EVER connect an air compressor to a tank and leave it running to fill the tank. Most compressors will put out enough pressure to blow up the tank.

4. Start your pump and fill the tank.

You will need to keep adding air to a non-bladder tank because air becomes dissolved in the water. It helps if you have a sight glass tube on the tank.

If you have a sight glass tube, you could start by lowering the water level to the bottom of the sight glass, and then add air to the ON pressure or a little higher.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks