Choosing a Great Pump!

Users who are viewing this thread

KennyG

Reaction score
Hello,

I am having to do all the work required to get my well up and ready for a new home construction since I keep getting ghosted by well companies. I suspect due to the well being in a pain in the ass location.

I need help choosing a reliable submersible well pump! The current old pump that was put in pumps 12 GPM non-stop so I'm just going to stick to that GPM.

Stats on my well:

- 67' Deep
- 22' static water line
- current old pump flows 12 GPM non-stop with a 3' 6" drawdown.
- I suspect the pump is sitting between 40'-45' down.
- The water line will have to run approximately 300' with 80' of elevation gain including the depth of the pump.
- The current drop pipe is 1" but I'm upgrading that and the pitless adapter for 1" 1/2 + the run pipe.

I was hoping someone could recommend a 12 GPM 1HP 3-Wire pump, something that will last decades due to me having to do all of this by hand myself. I've looked all over but I can't seem to stamp one down, there is a Redlion one but I hear that brand is crap.

Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the old pump puts out 12 GPM running wide open with no pressure it is probably a 7 GPM pump. A 7 or 12 GPM, 1HP pump is not the right pump for a total head of 200'. A 1HP, 10-12 GPM pump is made for wells that are 200'-300' deep. A 10 GPM, 3/4HP will still pump 12 GPM at 50 PSI up at the house location.

You also do not need larger than 1" pipe for a 12 GPM system. Pipe that is too large down the well has water running up hill so slowly the sand and solids will not come out with the water, as they just settle down on top of your check valve.

Being Ghosted by a well company is very common, which is why many people are learning to DIY. I just pulled a pump from 111' by hand, so a 45' deep well is easily a DIY job. Even if the well company shows up they are going to want to sell you what they make the most money on, not what is best for you. Most pump guys these days don't know as much about pump systems as the home owners they are working for. It doesn't take much research to be more educated on the subject than the "professionals".

Red Lion is as good as any, because they are all crap. The only way to make a pump last longer than the average 7 years they were designed to last is to limit the on/off cycling. A Cycle Stop Valve will not only deliver strong constant pressure to the house, but can make a pump designed to last 7 years last 30+ years. It is all about the cycling as to how long a pump will last.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks