Chlorine Pellet Feeder Model 400 Rate Of Feed Valve settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Sebanavila

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie in regards plumbing and well water treatment/filtration systems.
I need help in figuring out the proper settings for a rate of feed valve of a dry pellets chlorinator model 400, base on my water test results.
I have search all over and haven't found anything in regards of how to proper adjust it.

Here are the numbers of the test that was performed in my water:

2.5ppm iron
no/very slight tannins
sulfur notated ( very smelly )
14 gpg hardness
tds: 220

Base on this numbers, a few companies quote me systems that where well above the $12,000.00, which I found is ridiculously expensive due to the nature of the system itself, so I decided to do a little research and ended up putting together the system that you will see in the picture below.
That complete system cost me 1/3 of the cheapest quote that I get, but as I stated before I'm no expert in the matter.

So here are some questions:

How much chlorine do I need to make sure that the water will be safe?
Does this configuration will do the job?
Is there anything that I'm missing to make it work efficiently?

We are 5 people in my house with 2 teenagers included, I'm the only male, house have 2 bathrooms and a laundry room that is always active.
My wife works from home as a hairdresser and we use a lot of water, that is why you see the 13x54 tanks in order to have a decent amount of water in process and available 24/7/365.

I know that some will say it is a little overkill or too much, but if Wife is not happy …...... well I leave it to your imagination.

I very much appreciate any help in this matter.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Diagram of system.jpg
    Diagram of system.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 94

Bannerman

Reaction score
Chlorine Pellets are not the best choice since they may dissolve rapidly and over chlorinate when water is sitting overnight within the pellet feeder. For your significant iron, it may be best to utilize liquid chlorine fed through a peristaltic pump which utilizes a flow meter to vary the chlorine feed rate in relation to the quantity of water being utilized at the time.

A possible alternative to a pump may be a Micronizer injection valve as an amount of chlorine will be drawn in, relative to the quantity of water flowing through the valve's Venturi.

Your diagram shows a retention tank equipped with only top connections, with no provision to easily discharge the heavy ferric iron sediment that will accumulate within the tank. Suggest utilizing a baffled retention tank such as a Flexcon MixMaster which includes a 1" bottom ball valve to flush out debris.

Although Catalytic Carbon is an extremely effective media for reduction of residual chlorine, sanitation by-products, numerous other contaminants as well as residual sulfur odor, it's not the best media for filtering out any remaining suspended ferric iron particles that exit from the retention tank. Katalox Light has now become the media of choice for effectively filtering out ferric iron, manganese and sulfur down to 3-microns when installed in a tank equipped with a backwashing control valve.

Last edited:

Sebanavila

Reaction score
I did notice that, but the tank does have a discharge valve at the bottom it is the Clack 1248 retention tank.

I consult with a few "PROS" regarding the chlorine situation and they said that because I'm in Florida and my system is outdoor with no protection against the sun and the elements, it is better to use a pellet feeder instead of liquid.

Don't know if their suggestion is accurate or not, but I already bought the Model 400 base on that.

Now I'm confuse.

Sebanavila

Reaction score
I found this thread and looks like he's doing ok with it.

I'm jut saying.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks