cast iron plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

ljonalex

Reaction score
I want to remodel an old bath and add a stand up shower in the process. I have no experience with cast iron but this is what info I have gather so far and want to know if I am in the right vicinity. I do not want to replace all the cast iron because I don't want to rupture the line and then have to replace it all the way to the street. I am thinking of cutting the cast iron as least 3 to 4 feet before the ptrap on the tub, come in with a fernco fastener -and run 2" pvc , then connect a tee(so I can veer off for my shower) run 2" pipe to a 2"in p-trap and then use a reducer(2" to 1 1/2") because the drain for the tub is 1 1/2 inches. Of course the stand up shower I am going to use 2" pvc, p-trap and drain. Just want to know if I am missing something( I probably am) Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
To make the connections, you need no-hub connectors above ground (these are the banded connectors, not the rubber sleeve with clamps). Straight T's can't be used in drainage. You did not indicate anything about vents...each of the fixtures need a vent by themselves (they can join above the height of the sink + 6").

ljonalex

Reaction score
First, let me say this will be my first major plumbing job, but I am going to give it a whirl. I don't have the straight tee, it is angled slightly(sorry don't know the proper name)- I did purchase the Fernco fittings, it is rubber and I do believe with the banded connectors( will reverify that). Now to the venting, didn't get to that, if I can remember, I know the vent in my bathroom is copper up to a point then it is metal up through the roof, but I would need to tie into the vent(hmmmm). OK, let me do some additional research to see how I can achieve this and I will definetely be posting here soon to see if my revamped plan sounds about right.

Thanks again!!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks