Capping Microwave Vent

Users who are viewing this thread

MK_Chicago

Reaction score
IMG_1474.JPG
IMG_1472.JPG
I am not sure if this really falls under HVAC but I am hoping someone might have some insight.

I am doing a bathroom renovation. As part of it, we are relocating the microwave. The current microwave vents to the outside (see pictures). I need to cap this now. Is there some kind of a cap for the exterior available? One recommendation I received was to just fill the cavity with spray foam. Not sure if this is the best route.

Let me know if you have any ideas. Thank you!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think that on the outside, I'd actually brick it in. The inside is easier...fill the space with insulation, then cut a new piece of drywall to cover the opening. Some paint, and you'd probably never know there had been a hole in there. It would be harder if the brick hadn't been painted, since trying to match them up would be tougher unless you have a few left sitting around somewhere (which you might!).

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would mount a planter over it with masonry fasteners, fill it with potting soil, and plant me some petunias. You could keep it watered from inside the house. Beautiful and practical. A win-win situation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks